• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what oil is best

fatotto

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 4.0 what oil type is best to use.I only changed it once and its do for another. I put in 5w-30 still running with 120,000miles. I live in CT.

Hey welcome to naxja.. Good luck with the search.. Look in your area for xj owners.. They will be more helpful than the first guy was here... Sorry i couldn't help you...1yr an you give him chit on his second post.. Dam your good

Even worse,the OP has been here even longer!Ive been running Amsoils for over 35 years,cant go wrong there!

Regardless of what everyone will tell you there is no perfect oil! It all depends on your vehicle, your climate, your operating conditions! Overall I would sway you from Synthetics because it could break down the deposits that are holding your seals together. Some people have luck with it, it caused me to have to fix the RMS on my old Ranger that only had 91k on it and never even considered leaking oil!

That being said
For my DD I run Valvoline High-Mileage(I have 141k on it) 5W-30
For my Trail-Rig/Backup DD I run Shell Rotella 15w-40(274k on it)

Anything but pennzoil oil and a fram filter

I stick with 10w30. I have learned over the years that the brand of oil you run in these motors is less important than the frequency of the oil changes. Ill run anything from havoline to mobil1 depending on what is on sale. I always run a quality filter (Napa Gold, or Mobil1)

Shell Rotella T 10w-30, Wal-Mart sells it for $10.50 gallon. Buy 3 Gallons and you have 2 oil changes!

For filters I always run either of these;

NAPA gold
Purolator pure one
WIX

Shell Rotella T 10w-30, Wal-Mart sells it for $10.50 gallon. Buy 3 Gallons and you have 2 oil changes!

For filters I always run either of these;

NAPA gold
Purolator pure one
WIX

You lucky duck. Ive never been able to find rotella in 10w30. I look whenever I am in the auto department at wally world. I always find it in some ridiculously heavy weights.

You lucky duck. Ive never been able to find rotella in 10w30. I look whenever I am in the auto department at wally world. I always find it in some ridiculously heavy weights.

Any Wal-Mart "can" stock it if they want to. Just ask!

Advance Auto and AutoZone will order it as well.

If you check your owners manual, you'll see a chart that makes recommendations for either 5-30 or 10-30 depending upon projected outside temperatures between now and your next oil change. You may want to take that into consideration when choosing viscosity. I run 5-30 when it gets reaaaalll cold up here in MN

All great info, I don't have a owners manual so I think I'll get the 10w-30 for this change and use the 5w-30 in summer. And I have always used NAPA filters. Thanks again

I think I'll get the 10w-30 for this change and use the 5w-30 in summer.

I think you may have misunderstood me. You'd want to use the 5-30 in the cooler weather (if outside temp not projected to be above 60 degrees I believe per chart) and the 10-30 when it is warmer, the opposite of your gameplan.

Doesn't anyone have the link to the write up I saw months ago about the oils. The old pushrod motors with flat tappets (not rollers) need zinc in the oil. There is one type of Mobil 1 that is good for this, but it isn't the usual kind. It's the extended (high mileage) life type or something like that. And yeah, you're wasting time and environment by changing oil that often. Studies have shown that 7K is fine. I'd go 12K and change the filter halfway. If anyone knows the correct Mobil 1 to use, please post it.

You're gonna catch a little shit about searching because this issue is !!!1 . Read my post here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=972812 . (For some reason, it got banished to the non-tech forums...but that is another issue).

If you're too lazy to read my thread, I'll sum it up with my opinion: Run Rotella 15w-40 year round if your climate permits, or spend a few more bucks and run Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. Both have 1200ppm of ZDDP or greater.

Doesn't anyone have the link to the write up I saw months ago about the oils. The old pushrod motors with flat tappets (not rollers) need zinc in the oil. There is one type of Mobil 1 that is good for this, but it isn't the usual kind. It's the extended (high mileage) life type or something like that. And yeah, you're wasting time and environment by changing oil that often. Studies have shown that 7K is fine. I'd go 12K and change the filter halfway. If anyone knows the correct Mobil 1 to use, please post it.

The only Mobil 1 oil that has the necessary amount of ZDDP is the 15w-50. Good luck finding it. Once again, refer to my thread that I linked above.

Back