• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie -two questions

Paddy Whacker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, new member here, great site. I have a '98 XJ with 82K on it. Bought it in April, and the previous owner took excellent care of it. I have two issues:

Lately, when I make a turn and hit a bump, I get a metal sounding rubbing noise. Doesn't matter which way I turn. Is that the front axle link bushings?

Second, someone please direct me to a place where I can get seat slider extensions! I'm 6'2", and rides longer than 2 hours are killing me. Please tell me someone else has already addressed this!

Other than that, the Jeep is great. This is my 1st XJ, but I had 4 Jeeps...a CJ, YJx2, and a TJ.

cool buy, welcome to the world of long term monetary investments! a few noises should not be alarming with an xj but metal grinding at a turn sounds like dust shields rubbing brake rotors. i had it and it was annoying. i took em off completely. about a 30 minute job for both sides. also check your hub bearing unit for play. jack the front up, hand at top and bottom of wheel and push/pull top / bottom simultaneously.

as for the seat, cut yout legs off at the knees: O )

just kidding, maybe have to remount the base somehow. you can fab a custom setup if you have know how for welder and metalwork. i would opt to cut and remount base with more bracing.

sorry but cant help you with the grinding sound but the seat prob i'm 6'4 with most of my height in my legs i got the 8 way electronic seats then move the seat all the way back and lift the front of the seat up till its comfortable spot for my legs i end up looking out the rear window to change into the left lane but i'm comfortable thats all that counts new they are $1000 from the dealer dont know how much they would be from a junk yard

Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid the noise is "heavier" than the brake dust covers. It's a deep, metal rubbing sound, I can feel it through the wheel. It's one of those noises where people are like, "what the heck is that?" Also, it only happens on a turn with a bump or a dip in the road.

Last edited:
Paddy Whacker said:
Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid the noise is "heavier" than the brake dust covers. It's a deep, metal rubbing sound, I can feel it through the wheel. It's one of those noises where people are like, "what the heck is that?" Also, it only happens on a turn with a bump or a dip in the road.

does this happen in 2 or 4 wheel drive?

if its in 4 wheel drive and makes this sound on anything other than loose dirt / rocks it sounds like hub unit bearing.

if its in 2 wheel drive, check front hub bearing and also make sure your alignment is ok.

i had a pop everytime i went over a bump. it turned out the LCA brackets on the axle were bent. took a prybar and bent it out of the way. stupid, i mean awsome rocks!

well a turn or a bump dosn't realy narrow it down. Can you simulate it by pushing up and down on the hood or bumper. if you can have a friend bounce you car and climb under and inspect and listen for the noise.

Also, try having a friend turn the steering wheel quickly from side-to-side while you look underneath and see if anything is loose or rubbing. Mine sort-of did the same thing and it was the tie rod end that connects the drag link to the pitman arm.

Can't help you with the seat issue. As for the noise, is it a rubbing sound specifically or more of a clunk? Clunking in turns or thru dips like you've described could be a million things i.e. bad shocks, control arm bushings, etc. but where it seems it's only happening in turns I would check your tie rod ends and your entire steering linkage for excess play/wear. Also, is your XJ stock or lifted? If it's lifted, some of the after market control arm bushings (i.e. heims or rod end style joints) in various lift kits can be real noisy. Hope this helps...

slingblade said:
sorry but cant help you with the grinding sound but the seat prob i'm 6'4 with most of my height in my legs i got the 8 way electronic seats then move the seat all the way back and lift the front of the seat up till its comfortable spot for my legs i end up looking out the rear window to change into the left lane but i'm comfortable thats all that counts new they are $1000 from the dealer dont know how much they would be from a junk yard
The power seats give about an extra inch/ inch and a half to the leg room. I got a set of leather seats (front & rear, and driver 6 way powered) heated mirrors, the wood grain trim door & radio trim panel, and factory fog lights including the factory switch panel + a few other little tid bits, and only payed $250 for all of it from a junk yard here in Ohio.

Back