• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 out of zj

bdavid

NAXJA Forum User
will it fit in my 98 xj? he said something about it being a aluminum housing it that true and how does 150$ sound it has 373 not sure if it has any type of trac lock in the rear

will it fit in my 98 xj? he said something about it being a aluminum housing it that true and how does 150$ sound it has 373 not sure if it has any type of trac lock in the rear

It wouldn't be worth it if he gave it to you. The aluminum D44s out of zj/wjs are junk.

Is it worth the 150$? He said it has disc brakes will they work on my jeep or do i need to change anything$ I am pretty sure he is going to give the front dana 30 with it also

LOL yeah i'm with them... the aluminum 44s are not desirable at all, they take a different carrier/bearings than a normal 44 and don't have any aftermarket support. i've heard of people having them replaced more than once before finally swapping them out.

I would take the axle for $150. take the rear disk brakes off of it and put it on an xj 8.25. or sell them to make a little money.

I wouldn't even go that far. Get an 8.8 or an XJ D44. If you go XJ D44, you can do rear disks for about 2-250 from an explorer/crownvic, explorer is preferred.

LOL yeah i'm with them... the aluminum 44s are not desirable at all, they take a different carrier/bearings than a normal 44 and don't have any aftermarket support. i've heard of people having them replaced more than once before finally swapping them out.

Thought I read somewhere the Aluminum D44 centersections the same as was used in the Viper and Vette?

could that be a junkyard swap for my 8.25? i was wondering how to get disc for my 8.25

The 8.25 has the new style bolt pattern, ZJ discs should bolt on. The old style D44 pattern is very close to the 8.8 pattern.

Thought I read somewhere the Aluminum D44 centersections the same as was used in the Viper and Vette?
....AND!?
even if it is true (im not gonna waste time w/ google for this topic, it has been beat to death, you do not want this axle for a jeep, not for $150, not for $15)

the zj brakes are not quite a bolt on deal, but very close. the center hole needs to be opened up a little and the bolt holes that attatch the backing plate to the axle housing need to be elongated. but it is just about bolt in and super easy.

if you are trying to keep your rigs weight down and still have a stronger axle than the 35 i say go for it.

these were in the v8 zjs with tow. the can handle power.

But a good smack or two on the rocks and they'll crack open like a cold beer on a friday night.

That sounds good though...

so what model/year zj should ilook for to do this. i should be able to pull somthing off a junk yard truck here on long island

Back