• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep bad wiring rage...

HoratioTheJeep

NAXJA Forum User
... I'm feelin' it.

The CEL light came on, on the way to work today, and doing the ignition key trick, I pulled a code 72 from the computer, which, according to my info, indicates a problem with the "Catalytic Converter Circuit."

1) if anyone can confirm that 72 = cat converter circ, I'd appreciate it
2) taking into consideration some prior problems (listed below), what are the odds that this is a wiring problem, and not a cat problem?

***the cat is virtually brand new*** (meaning I bought it this spring)
the main, braided ground strap has been cleaned
I've cleaned the other grounds & hit them with a wire brush

Most recently, with help from NAXJA forum people, I fixed (probably) a bucking/misfiring/stalling problem I had (computer code 43 "Misfire").

Not long before, some trailer wiring I installed was blowing the fuse for the A/C. This wasn't entirely unexpected, b/c the Uhaul website said I'd need a stronger fuse with aftermarket trailer wiring. Switched the 15 amp fuse for a 30 amp. It still blew the 30 amp fuse a couple of times! Now it's fine, but I haven't been doing any towing since late July.

Before that, the ground wire for the O2 sensor broke off at the eyelet where it was grounded to the block. It threw an O2 sensor code, which over the course of a year, I spent roughly $1000.00 on this (for the sake of passing inspection), including the new cat which I didn't need, only to find the broken wire & make a $0.05 repair.

I feel like I'm chasing power surges all around the vehicle?

langer1 said:
"Catalytic Converter Circuit."
Could be the relay is bad.
It has a relay? If so, where is it?

I swapped around some of the relays in the PDC a few days ago without any ill effect, but I didn't look at any relays outside of the PDC.

I'm wondering whether the cat circuit is the O2 sensor in the cat? If so, I think it's grounded in the same place the upstream O2 sensor is grounded. I'll check there & report back.

Back