• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke Bolt on t-case Crossmember

Ewen91

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on installing a new tranny mount on my 94 XJ 4x4 when now one of the heads of the bolts on the crossmember snapped off. Now idk what to do. Is it a welded nut on the other end or is it threaded through the frame. Idk now if i should just take it off all together and hope the other bolts dont snap. or do i leave it if i have to take it someplace for them to take it out.

mine was 2 studs and 2 bolts, one of each on each side. they just thread into the frame. did you break the head of the bolt, or just take the nut off and the threaded part is still in there? if there is enough of the threaded section sticking out to get a nut onto, screw a nut on it and tack weld the nut to the broken bolt, then twist it out like it was a regular bolt. replace with a bolt when you put it back together.

mine was 2 studs and 2 bolts, one of each on each side. they just thread into the frame. did you break the head of the bolt, or just take the nut off and the threaded part is still in there? if there is enough of the threaded section sticking out to get a nut onto, screw a nut on it and tack weld the nut to the broken bolt, then twist it out like it was a regular bolt. replace with a bolt when you put it back together.

What he said. :D
Billy

This is a chronic XJ problem that most of us have to deal with from time to time. They used studs to simplify assembly at the factory. Any time I drop a crossmember I get rid of the studs & use bolts. If the nuts come off you can usually get the studs out & of course if they snap off you have to replace them with bolts anyway. I've never had a stud break if the nut came off first. Of course as always, be liberal with PB Blaster first.

Back