• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do your rock rails mount?

XJfire75

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I want to build me some rock rails and with the unibody being the way it is I want to know how yall mounted your rock rails. What did you use to mount them?(bolt quantity and size)

I'm going to use some 1.5"x1.5"x.125" tubing and 1/4" mounting plates.

Ive made some for my Bronco but it has a frame and its not boxed like the XJs is.

Anyways, can I see some pics of yalls mounting brackets and let me what yall did. Pointers too please.

Thanks guys

Frame side: Front 1-1/2",1-1/4" Middle 2-1/4" Rear 1-1/2" 2-3/8" 1-14mm and 1-1"
Pinch rail:7-1/4"
At the pinch rail its just thru bolted.At the framerail the 1/4's are nutcerts,the 1/2's were done with t-nut's,the 1" goes up into my rollbar,and the 2 3/8's bolt to the front shackle box, and finally the 14mm uses the front leaf spring bolt!
http://hometown.aol.com/rpayne9421/page8.html
slider%2001.jpg

Last edited:
I have JCR's and they mount with 8 3/8 self tappers on the frame and around 5 bolts on the pinch seam. They have taken hits and not fallen off yet. I just bought frame siffeners from hd engineering BrianHO i think is his name. Im gonna cut the stiffeners and weld the sliders to the body and forget about the self tappers. I'm afraid to take them out because they usually don't like to go back in right

I was thinking self tapping bolts would be the easiest because there aint much way to bolt all the way thru the unibody. And I doubt they would be too strong.

Can I see yalls pics of the mounting bracket please.

Trying to get these done in the next week or two right after I finish my rear bumper build.

What size 3/8" good? They got any self tappers close to the strength of grade 5/8?

So maybe som 1/4" bolts on the pinch seam and I was thinking 3 bolts on 3 legs to the unibody with 3/8" self tappers. Sound strong?

that sounds plenty strong to me... i've installed sliders before using 12 self-tappers per side with no pinch weld support and they've been plenty strong. while self-tappers may seem kinda cheesy to some, i've had very good luck with them. LOL i just noticed that you have 4 lateral supports in them instead of 3. definitely strong enought IMO!

Here is what I have drawn to have built. They will bolt to the pinch seam, and also I'll have some self=tapping bolt in the ``frame``. I won't use all the holes in the ``frame``.

rocker.jpg
Do not use angle or flat stock for the pinch seam,thats where all the load will be when you land on them.Only .120" wall rectangular has the proper radius to properly support the weight without making a big dent in your rocker panels!

I got rock lizards fabrications Skink Super Sliders. They uses DOM tubing to go thru the subframe pluse a pinch seam mounts.

SO use some maybe 1"x1"x.120 wall tubing for the pinch seam? Whats wronr with the angle?

I wont be dropping off any ledges I'm mainly building them for protection against sticks and rocks that would normally just scrape down the side of the rock panel. Im not going to be banging them on anything. So in that case would 8 3/8" self tapper sto the inbody and 5 1/4" bolts thru the pinch seam do alright?

Can they be used as steps also? Thats what I use them mainly for on my Bronco.
These are the ones for the Bronco. 1/2" mounting plates and 3 1/2" bolts on each leg. 6 per sides.

sliders1.jpg

hpim1599.jpg

I welded 3 pieces of 3x3x1/4" 6" long to the framerails on my XJ, then built the rest of the rail from 1 5/8" tube because I got it for free.

Back