• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tired door lock and window motors

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 XJ came with power locks and windows. They are pretty worn out. I had the door skins off, re-lubricated all the mechanisms and they still don't work very well.

The power locks will sometimes unlock the front doors, the back doors are hopeless.

Power windows are the same way............veeeerrrry slow when they do work.

In both cases the mechanisms and motors work but are just not up to the task anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions other than buying all new parts?

Yeah my 87 is the same way. My windows are so bad I pull them up by Hand.

I got mechanical ones out of local savage yard..

So I'am do away with all power windows and locks

Nick

It's likely not the units themselves but the voltage supply. Mine run much faster with the engine on since I get closer to 14V. Check the connector on the back of the switch panel on the passenger door. Also pull the pass kick panel off and check the relay and other connectors there. Check all of grounds.

saudade, so you're saying that the relays or grounds could be poor? Should the actuators be recieving close to 12 volts or is it stepped down at all?

By passenger kick panel do you mean the interior door panel?

saudade, so you're saying that the relays or grounds could be poor? Should the actuators be receiving close to 12 volts or is it stepped down at all?

Yes, the actuators/solenoids need a full 12v to make them *snap*!

By passenger kick panel do you mean the interior door panel?
Oops, Not the door panel, the panel by the passenger's feet. Do you have the keyless entry too? If so, you'll see the existing relays there. If not, adding the relays in as Greg's article details, should address the locks.

rskickpanel_0127Small.jpg

I don't have keyless entry (at least not anymore......no idea if the Jeep came with it but when I got it it didn't come with a remote).

So if it is not getting a full 12v then the relays are most likely the culprit?

I should footnote a few things here. The relays in my pic above are the factory ones with the keyless entry. They are not the ones described in Greg's article. The wires with the small wires nuts come down from the sensor between the visors to operate the relays. I simply patched the control wires from my aftermarket keyless entry system.

There's a huge connector on the back on the door/lock switch plate on the passenger side. Make sure all of the contacts on it are clean.

Well, you need to trace it along the entire system. I'm not saying your actuators are weak and need replacing, it's just that mine sounded like a bank vault closing when I powered them directly. With all the crazy wiring, switches and relays, there's seems to be quite a big voltage drop by the time it gets to the actuators.

On my 88, I simply found some corrosion on quite a few connectors. Relays, harnesses and switch assy's. Once I cleaned them all up, including the grounds, my locks worked and my windows moved a bit faster.

My slowest window in the front pass. With the key on, engine off, it crawls. Start the engine and it moves twice as fast due to the higher system voltage. This suggests it's a voltage drop issue.

Do you have the little sensor on the headliner between the visors?

Ok, I don't hve the relays for the keyless entry. I just went out and checked the main chassis ground and it reads a full 14.7v with the engine running so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

The front power locks work consistently with the jeep running, and the power windows move a bit faster, although the rear drivers side window just barely crawls along.

I will have to check the voltage at the back of the pins for the connectors on the back of the switch panels.

My windows on the passanger side dont work at all. just the drivers side, and they are slow going up, the driver backseat one sometimes dosent ahve the juice to go up more then a few inches before i need to drop the window down a quick click and then back up a few more inches.

I was thinking that it was just a lack of power to the passanger side of the jeep, BUT the door locks work on that side... actually, when i click the button on the master pannel the passanger door is the ONLY door that locks lol. all the others you have to do by hand. I was just going to replace all the doors with manual and use these to make somehalf doors, but if i can keep the power windows id like to try. An ideas?

Ed

BUMP

I just did the mod described in Greg's article and my door locks are working great, even with the Jeep off. Now I just need to get the windows working and I'm all set.

Anyone know how to fix the slow window problem?

Like the power door lock fix, it probably involves getting a full 14VDC at the motor input.

You can 1) replace all the harness with new wire and connectors all the way from the battery, or 2) somehow get switched 14VDC to the motors so they can pull the load. Since the wiring has to go about the same route as the door locks - under the carpet and back again - I'd check that to see how much voltage drop is involved.

Cherokees don' t like wet floors much, and this is the result. At least the later models moved the wiring and switches.

Thanks Tierod that does make sense.

If there was a way to hook up some relays in the same manner that was used for the door locks that might be an option.

Does anyone know exactly how the power windows are wired or can someone provide a diagram?

I'm sure we could figure this out.

Back