• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark, no fuel. Please help!

alexdehaan

NAXJA Forum User
So, I bought this jeep without a transmission in it, and I just finished putting it back together. The only problem now is that I cannot get fuel or spark to the motor. Here is what I have tested so far...

Stator
~7 volts from blue to gray at distributer connector
Fluctuates between ~2-8 volts while cranking
Blue wire to C16 at ECU OK
Gray wire to C5 at ECU OK
Black wire at distributor to known ground OK

Relays
All relays have proper resistance.

Coil (Think thats what it is). Checked with key in on position and while cranking and still recieved these values.
Connector 1
A) 12v
B) 0v
C) 0v

Connector 2
A) 5v

Fuel Pump
Comes on when key is turned on. I have not checked the pressure.

According to the manual I should have 5 volts at the stator when the engine is not cranking; however, I am actually getting between 2 and 7 volts. When the key is in the on position the voltage does not fluctuate, it just stays somewhere between 2 and 7. When I crank the engine, the voltage jumps back and forth between 2 and 7. Also, I don't know if this matters, but from the gray wire to the black wire I get a solid 5 volts.

You guys have any idea on where I should look next? Any help is appreciated.

I would test to see if the coil is working. Try unplugging the coil wire at the distributor and put a screwdriver that fits nicely into the metal tip and put it close to something that'll have a good ground. Have someone crank the starter and se if a spark jumps from the screwdriver to the body. If you have spark there then check after the distributor by unplugging a wire at a plug and do the same thing.

You can check to see if you have pressure by using that same screwdriver and opening the check valve on the fuel rail and pushing in on the valve a little. If fuel sprays out you have fuel and if not you don't.

Start with that...

I would test to see if the coil is working. Try unplugging the coil wire at the distributor and put a screwdriver that fits nicely into the metal tip and put it close to something that'll have a good ground. Have someone crank the starter and se if a spark jumps from the screwdriver to the body. If you have spark there then check after the distributor by unplugging a wire at a plug and do the same thing.

You can check to see if you have pressure by using that same screwdriver and opening the check valve on the fuel rail and pushing in on the valve a little. If fuel sprays out you have fuel and if not you don't.

Start with that...

The coil is not working. I stuck a screwdriver across it and nothing happened.

I do have fuel pressure at the check valve. No fuel is making it past the injectors though.

Forgot to mention, this is an 88 XJ with the renix wiring.

GOT IT RUNNING! It ends up I had the connectors for the CPS and the TPS switched! Stupid mistake...

The only problem now is that the transmission does not shift. I guess I'll work on that next.

Back