• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Horn Install

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I jusy got an air horn for my 91 XJ, does anyone have clear instructions on installation, or should I just hook it up to a momentary switch?

I jusy got an air horn for my 91 XJ, does anyone have clear instructions on installation, or should I just hook it up to a momentary switch?

Yes, a momentary contact horn switch is fine, but what is the amp draw of the horn? It probably will require running it thru a relay, as in all higher amp draw devices. Even the puny XJ stock horn(s) use a relay.

an air horn shouldnt have any elictrical at all. its all air, hence AIR horn. solanoid, air swicth, and regulator. unless there are some new fangled doohickie.

Last edited:
I run Harbor Freight air horns on my boat and my car.

You will need a 30A relay. These horns pull about 22 amps to run the compressor

an air horn shouldnt have any elictrical at all. its all air, hence AIR horn. solanoid, air swicth, and regulator. unless there are some new fangled doohickie.

Where does the air come from? They use a compressor I thought and youd need electricity to power the compressor...

party1:Use the original horn wiring to run the new hd horn relay that you will need. A horn wire is just a momentary ground, it doesn't have any power in it. A stock horn relay will fry the first time you really lay on the horn. Hella & Fiaam air horn kits used to come with relays but the cheapo horns don't usually come with one.

My kit came with a relay, but I tried doing their diagram and it just blew the fuse I had. The relay has four prongs and says to use a 20 Amp fuse. There were two different wiring diagrams it came with, and I don't know what to use. Can anyone specifically tell me what wires to run to what, and can I use the positive connection from the old horn to get to the battery? Right now I just have the positive prong on the compressor hooked up the the positive wire that was attatched to the old horn, and the ground wire going to the old horn mount.

Pin 86 will go to your old horn switch.
Pin 85 will go to ground.
Pin 30 will go to your fuse/battery.
Pin 87 (or 87a if you have it) will go to the compressor.

Hope this helps! Make sure to insulate everything!

How do I get to the old horn switch? Is it just the wire that connected to the old horn. And how should I run it to the battery with a fuse, is there an open spot somewhere? Thanks for the fast replies.

Take the wire that ran to your old horn and run it to terminal 86. You can splice in a new section of wire if needed.

Terminals 85 and 86 can be reversed and it will cause no damage.

ALWAYS use fuses or circuit breakers when wiring anything in. As far as the open, thats basically what the realy is. The purpose of a relay is to control a large voltage or amperage with a small voltage or amperage

Hope this helps!

Alright, now I guess what I was asking was how should I connect it to the battery, is there a place in the fuse box or how do I do this? Thanks again.

You can get creative here.....personally I would put it straight onto the positive terminal on the battery, or onto the main power input on the fuse block. Either way I would make sure it has a fuse inline.

I'm guessing going to the positive terminal would be easiest, but is there any special way to make the connection. Thanks for all your help.

There is no real special way. Just make sure to use a terminal of some sort. Don't just smash your wire in there. If you do that, you will corrode your horn wire, and mess up the starting cable. In short your Jeep won't start one day.

What part of MN are you in?

I'll PM you my number if you have more questions.

this is the proper way to install horns
locker022.jpg

There is no real special way. Just make sure to use a terminal of some sort. Don't just smash your wire in there. If you do that, you will corrode your horn wire, and mess up the starting cable. In short your Jeep won't start one day.

What part of MN are you in?

I'll PM you my number if you have more questions.

South suburbs of Twin Cities, I got it all done, thanks a bunch for your help:yelclap:

Back