• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 decisions

94PNWxj

NAXJA Forum User
Newly registered...first post...scary :dunce:

I have been reading for awhile, years, actually, with time off while I ignored the Jeep.
Not new to XJ's, though. I've owned this one for almost 5 years now, and have done everything but the gears (4.10) myself.

Anyways - subject vehicle is a '94, 3.5" RE SF + 1.5" shackle/spacer combo.
TruTrac in the front. Currently 31's but going to 33's in the near future.

An on-road incident a few months ago involving a blown tire in a curve and a guard rail took out, among other things,
the tie rod assembly, left front brake assembly, and bent the LCA mount in such a way that a hammer won't do the trick.
I haven't pulled the axles yet, but there's no leaking. No unusual noises when in 4wd.

So my choices seem to be:
1. Have a new mount welded on existing housing.
I have no welding skills to speak of, but fairly certain I could locate a competent professional.
There are plenty of 4wd shops in the area. Need to find out if the housing and/or knuckle was damaged.
Doesn't appear to be, but I may not be able to tell.

2. Replacement (used) D30 assembly, $250-$500.
This is the option I'm leaning towards. What I call the safe route, but obviously the most costly of the 2.
I have other things to spend the money on, but I think I'd prefer to start with a known-to-be undamaged housing.
I will most likely upgrade axles at this time, too, so this option gives me complete spares even if mine were damaged.

Please help me make up my mind.
Or tell me if I'm over-thinking this to death!

And yes, there's always the D44 or whatever upgrade, but that really isn't cost-feasible for me right now.
I've been saving for a rear swap and want to go through with that in the Spring, not to mention the investment in
gears and TruTrac for the D30. I should also mention that I don't intend to ever go larger than 33's on this rig.
Minimal rocks, mostly forest trails, fire roads, mud, etc. Winter on-road vehicle.

One last question...or perhaps the only important one...
My '94 currently has ABS. Since it's not a priority to keep it, can I go with a non-ABS version?
They are considerably less expensive. Or are there other modifications I need? Yeah, I should do a search on that...

Thanks for reading, and for being there.

See ya on the trails

You bet, do away with the ABS, but if you want to keep your Tru-Trac[of course you do] just buy a 90 & later front end that doesn't have the axles & just use the housing & your parts. That way you won't have to worry about ratios & you can even use your ABS axles, they have the bigger U-joints. Second time to day I've sent someone in the Puget Sound area here.WWW.OLY4X4.COM or 800-752-9979. Olympic 4X4 Supply in Snohomish.

Back