• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering advice

redneckguy0404

NAXJA Forum User
my xj is currently sitting on about 8.5 inches with the rustys steering conversion, slightly modified to use rod ends on the drag link instead of TRE, creating lots of flop in the connecting rod which is where i think my death wobble is coming from. I bought the rockkrawler set up but have been told due to its sheer size and the way the connecting rod is bent it flops around and just makes driving no fun. what are my other options ive looked at JCR and Currie but seems they still have their problems with the floppin. any ideas or someone just say use the krawler set i'd like to know because winters coming and i parked the XJ and have been driving my CJ what is lacking floors.

If you don't want to lower it, you need to raise your steering.

WJ conversion, Tera knuckle, u-turn .. any of the elevated draglinks, but thats too much angle for a standard d30/d44 steering arm.

8.5 is really high, i mean you could do it but you are going to have to go with some sort of knuckle conversion. Im setting up for 7" and im already having geometric issues with that

There is a thread on here about putting oversized washers under the hiems.

this is kinda off topic but how have you liked the rustys steering kit?.i am gonna be doing something here this winter and i want the real down low on all there is. i have gotten some good reviews about the tera stuff but i am not that impressed for some reason, any help?

Last edited:
the only experience with rustys steering is that it will flop around like a noodle offroad then snap when turning into a parking lot

I am sitting at approx 7.5" of lift now and am running the JCR 1-ton set up. There is the noted "dead spot", but mine is not bad in comparison to some of the horror stories I have read about. I have installed about a half dozen of these set ups for guys and they have not been having problems with theirs, but then again these guys are running 5.5" of lift or less. I am seriously thinking about lowering mine back around the 6" mark. I like the looks of a higher lifted rig, but the functionality of a 6" or less lift with the lower COG.

i had my mind set on the JCR for a little while. Recently I changed my mind because I don't want to deal with the dead spot. I'm really considering the tera kit, but the price is over $600 which means I have to wait a little longer. Also, they don't give you a track bar relocation bracket with the kit, so I'll have to buy one from JKS separately.

7 inches of lift, excelllent steering.
Highsteer, inverted T, with 1 ton Chevy TRES.
I ordered the tierod and draglink with TRES built to my measurements from Foothill Offroad, $289.
Highsteer arms from Harsh Terain $120.
Ford flattop knuckles, ebay $45.
JKS over the axle trackbar relocation bracket $65 (D44 axle swap $alot)
IMO much better than Currie, ORO, JCR, TNT.

trackbar3.jpg

Probably difficult to find flattop knuckles for the D30.

Last edited:
this is kinda off topic but how have you liked the rustys steering kit?.i am gonna be doing something here this winter and i want the real down low on all there is. i have gotten some good reviews about the tera stuff but i am not that impressed for some reason, any help?

They don't call it Krusty's for nothing. I wouldn't trust his junk, seen a few broken trackbars.

They don't call it Krusty's for nothing. I wouldn't trust his junk, seen a few broken trackbars.
doesnt mean all his other parts are junk... quit talkin if you havent used his parts before

i run his steering conversion with 35s and it hold up through hell and back

doesnt mean all his other parts are junk... quit talkin if you havent used his parts before

i run his steering conversion with 35s and it hold up through hell and back

I've seen enough of his broken stuff in person and online to know better than to run it. It may hold up fine to the mall parking lot, but the trails out west are a whole different ball game.

i guess nobody has any experiance with the teraflex setup?

I'm running the JCR which is just an inverted T with 1 ton chebbie TRE's works great with the J20 TRE washers. You do have to ream your knuckles for it though. It did bow when Cal spotted me onto some rocks and had the whole weight of the jeep on it with both front tires off the ground. This was at Johnson Valley on Claw, your trails may not be as insane. I got back to camp, inverted it and used the stock bottle jack to straighten it back up. Works fine.

all my lift and what not came from rustys..................i've been spending more time on RE's website now what its time to fix things.

ivew never run rustys, but from what i have heard i wouldnt trust it.

My vote is to run the Rock Krawler setup, just like JCR but no dead spot and no lame ass TREs anymore. I like JCR but the dead spot is still there

Back