• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full frame under XJ

hipper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have to ask for I havent seen any one do this yet. There are some people doing some awsome jobs on thiere susp. and stiffining the uni body. Here is my question I'm thinking of d44' or D60's in my 89 Xj but if I find a donare truck like a 70's or early 80's ford why couldn't you use the whole frame and susp. just shorten it mount the drivetrain in the frame and the body onto the frame. Then you would have a full frame for strenght and not near the fab work as mounting diffs under the XJ and Long arms ect. Just asking

Hipper

Theres a pic somewhere buried deep in this forum of an XJ with a frame under it, i was happy to finally see someone pull off that elusive "body lift." I don't think anyone knows who built it tho.

now this is sick. literally makes me sick...
r01ijl.jpg

i hope thats a joke of some kind. for god sakes the fram in front looks like its held down with ratchet staps

I believe it was this one, didn't save any of the other pics of it unfortunatly.

MonsterJeep.jpg

there is another one on a ram charger frame i just cant save the pic for some reason

Blocks of wood and ratchet straps front and rear to hold it down to the new frame. :puke:

Ok so after seeing the pics you would have to channel the body to make it fit down on the frame to look right. I think the whole body lift thing looks stupid on any truck so you would have to have the frame up tight and by the time you did all of that you could of just done all the work on the susp. and unibody. So maybe thats why no one does it because it just wont look right without a ton of fab. work any way.

Thanks for the input
Hipper

Ok so after seeing the pics you would have to channel the body to make it fit down on the frame to look right. I think the whole body lift thing looks stupid on any truck so you would have to have the frame up tight and by the time you did all of that you could of just done all the work on the susp. and unibody. So maybe thats why no one does it because it just wont look right without a ton of fab. work any way.

Thanks for the input
Hipper

There ya go, sounds like you've got a handle on it. Don't let these guys discourage you. :)

I once talked to a guy that put a full frame under his XJ at Autozone. He says he took I believe a Chevy fullsize Blazer frame, cut the unibody frame off and put it on that frame with body mounts and everything. I've never seen the XJ in person, the guy kinda just approached me and talked to me about my Jeep. I'm kinda worried if you were to cut the unibody frame off that the body would be extremely weak and might crack or taco.

if you were to cut the unibody frame off that the body would be extremely weak and might crack or taco.
=================================================
No.
The rails don't add that much to the over all rigidity of the Cherokee.
The loss of the rails could be more then compensated for by the full frame as long as the body is properly mounted to the frame.
But properly mounting the body could be a hard call.
I love 2X4s and straps!!!!! :)
As for time/money invested. Modifying the right frame has got to be less work then some of the fully tricked out rails I have seen, MAYBE stronger too.

You dont want to know the things ive done in an aoutoparts parking lot, always easy to got the tool you need tho... usually they just let u use whatever you want

Last edited:
Back