• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full HID retrofit?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to retrofit some real projectors and ballasts and such into my XJ, but I'm still doing research. I heard someone say they were using Cadillac CTS-V ballasts without any problems, any problems with that?
Also, does the housing really matter other than beam cut off? It won't really affect the pattern will it, because the projector does all of that internally, correct?
What projectors have you guys successfully used? I can't really spend a bajillion dollars on this, but I'm willing to spend the cash to get good lighting.

Last edited:
Glad to see you're on the right track. But there seems to be some confusion here. The projectors are all that effects the beam pattern (unless the housing lense is diffused or has lines through it). The ballasts are what power the bulbs. The ignitors are the wires from the bulbs to the ballasts, and the bulbs are, well bulbs. Most projectors these days use d2s. So you can use whatever blub/ballasts setup you want, as long as it all configures with the projector. Some of the popular/best ones out there are the LS430, Honda 2000, TSX, and Infiniti FX. However those are all fairly large. The FX is probably the only bi-xenon projector that MIGHT fit in a 7x6 without too much cutting of your panels. However, the e46 is a very small projector, but is also only single-xenon. Meaning you provide your own halogen high beams. Check out the current HID thread floating around, it's got tons of info.

So FX projectors, cadillac ballasts, does the ignitor really matter? What gauge wire should I use? And how do people usually house the projector? It sticks out a good bit further than normal H4/H3 bulbs, so what kind of glass do people put on the front of their housings?

Nah ignitors don't really matter. Just don't mix aftermarket and OEM parts. Find housing that has a glass lense, and back it to remove the lense from the front. Then cut out the back and insert the projector, using small bolts and the stock mounting points. Check out the other thread...

The other thread had huge curved glass instead of the stock ones. I've read it like 8 times.

XP6054.jpg

Yea, those are the ones you can buy, full assembled for $500-1000. They include ballasts, bulbs, enclosures, everything you need. Other's take different parts and put them all together. Here...

PC170798Medium.jpg

P1301047Medium.jpg

P2201121Medium.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

_6030002.jpg

_6300003.jpg

_7010008.jpg

19587483.jpg

urbanyan's kit
XD-4656-4.jpg

P1020845.jpg

P1030151.jpg

All of these were made using OEM parts, and frankensteining them all together. Some look 100% factory. Like the Jetta and the STI.

You have to open it up first. Take off the lense, and cut out the back so the projector will fit it. Then after you have the projector mounted and aligned correctly it's all cosmetics. People have used the original shrouds, appliance trim rings, parts of lamps, chrome caps, all sorts of things to make it look oem. Here's a complete retro step by step.

_6030002.jpg

_6050008.jpg

_6050009.jpg

_6050010.jpg

_6050018.jpg

_6060003.jpg

_6170019.jpg

_6170016.jpg

_6260002.jpg

_6300004.jpg

_6300002.jpg

_7010004.jpg

_7010012.jpg

I dig it, that looks good. Can I just cut into whatever's behind the headlight instead of having those huge headlight housings? I don't want it to stick out like that.

You could, but I would look what's behind there before you start hacking away. I know on the passenger side the battery is right behind the headlight, but you might have enough space. You would definitely have to cut up the header panel.

How much would it be for the headlamp housings with the super bulged out glass? I haven't had time to look at it yet but if the battery prevents me from doing that I guess that's my only real option.

$500 or $800 for JUST the glass?:tears: no projectors, no nothing? For $800 I'll just figure out how to move my battery back...
Edit: I think I found a good deal on projectors. It says they're bixenon, but it also says that various BMW models use them, including the E46. Now the only E46 I've ever heard mentioned is in reference to a single beam projector, so is an E46 projector the projector model or the type of car it came out of?
Also, does the ballast matter as long as it's OEM, for the right kind of bulb (D2S in my case), and the right wattage/voltage? I'm more worried about the E46 confusion though...

Last edited:
Correction, the e46 can also be bixenon. Also, the $800 is for everything. The headlight enclosures (fitted with projectors) wiring, bulbs, everything.

The e46 is a very standard projector. A LOT of BMW's use it. you can tell if it's bixenon if it has an actuator. This usually looks like a little copper coil and some wiring.

Also, you CAN mix and match parts. A lot of people use this projector, that ballast, Hella bulbs, Bosche ignitors, etc etc. So do a little R&D on what parts are good and which are not, and you should be able to put together a solid kit for pretty cheap. Ebay and HIDplanet.com classifieds are the best places I've found.

yeah, I just noticed he mentioned it comes with "wiring for the high beam solenoid." I've been sifting through ebay as much as I can and I think I found some good stuff, and I'm working on becoming a member at HIDplanet.

Back