• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Le Baron hood vents

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
For those of you who have installed them...

1. How di you fasten them to the hood?

2. Any pictures to show of the fasteners?

3. Will you be in Moab for the Fall Fling? We are planning on having a clinic late one day using my rig as a test subject.

www.ericsxj.com

he has a lebaron vent install and I usedhis directions to install mine.

www.ericsxj.com

he has a lebaron vent install and I usedhis directions to install mine.

I did the exact same thing.
I used an aluminum angle piece.
easily cut them to length with tin snips.
softened the edges on a grinder.
drilled the holes and mounted them with
stainless steel screws and washers.

BOB

pictures worth a thousands words...

Just got some little L bend brackets and cut them off to the height of the vents once they are inside the hood. No drilling or anything special needs to be done to the hood. Hold them in there as tight as can be.

Exactly the same as mine.

Hold em up to the hood, mark out your holes, cut em up, paint the edges, RTV the vents. Put em in place and put something heavy on them while the RTV sets up.

Thanks to all. A couple of questions...

Stainless steel bolts and nuts seems a given but what size? #10? #12?

Why the RTV?

I used the small aluminum angle, and put the piece of formica in above the airfilter to keep the water off it. No problems with water anywhere else, so far...

For screws, I used 10-24 oval head and nylock nuts.

I cut a few old metal book ends to pieces. Works great! :D

Thanks to all. A couple of questions...

Stainless steel bolts and nuts seems a given but what size? #10? #12?

Why the RTV?

Because you don't need nuts and bolts.

Just a good adhesive (a sealant isn't really a good adhesive, but it was what I had laying around).

There is no structural purpose to cutting a hole in your hood and putting a fiberglass vent in there. It doesn't move while you're driving. Why complicate things?

Go to the local parts store and pick you up a couple of tubes of whatever says adhesive/RTV/sealant on it, cut a hole in your hood, squirt the stuff around the perimeter, put the vent in, put something heavy on top of it, clean up the excess and you're done.

Hey all.

The reason I would choose to use nuts, bolts, and the little L-brackets is you can remove them easily if you ever need to, like to re-paint or whatever. If you RTV, its going to be a mess. I have removed mine once to repaint them, and will probably remove them again when I paint the hood (but not the vents).

PS. here's the direct link to my write-up: http://ericsxj.com/vents.htm

Last edited:
ugh.. im sad that so many people are so excited about the lebaron hood vents.

they looked terrible on the lebaron, and look even worse on an XJ :doh:

Back