• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making bastard packs with XJ springs vs full length AAL?

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to do a BB on my XJ. Should I get a set of Cherokee springs and add them to my existing pack or buy a full length AAL from RE? I'm going for 2" of spring lift then I'm going to add a shackle to make up the difference.

Go for XJ leaves. They are the same rate (duh) as what you've already got and so they will flex better and work better as a "pack" instead of causing uneven stress throughout the leaves.
See also: Cheaper
See also: More durable

I went that route instead of AAL because a buddy had an extra set around. Cut the eyes off the main spring and add the next two springs to the pack. I did everything but the very short leaf. With a 1" shackle I ended up at 3.5" over stock with it and it wasn't 'stiff'. YMMV.

I'm going to do a BB on my XJ. Should I get a set of Cherokee springs and add them to my existing pack or buy a full length AAL from RE? I'm going for 2" of spring lift then I'm going to add a shackle to make up the difference.

My XJ "brother" pack hasn't sagged at all since I did it many moons ago... I used the main and second leaf and got 3" almost exactly. My leafs were not sagged at all, but the donors were. I bet you can get the same!

Do it. Works well and stock packs are cheap to free.

Doubling everything but the mains gives you 3".

I think I'm going to go with the bastard pack for sure now. The only thing that bothers me is the range of lifts that you guys got with them. I think I'll go conservative and get a shackle to make up the difference.

I think I'm going to go with the bastard pack for sure now. The only thing that bothers me is the range of lifts that you guys got with them. I think I'll go conservative and get a shackle to make up the difference.

A shackle is nice because it points your pinon at almost the perfect angle when you use a 1.5" shackle and 2" of leafs (whatever combination that is) for around 3.5"

I know that's more than you're going for, so that info is more for future ref when you get inchitis.

Between 1.5" and 2", depending on how much either pack was sagged.
Thank-You
beerchug.gif

My XJ "brother" pack hasn't sagged at all since I did it many moons ago... I used the main and second leaf and got 3" almost exactly. My leafs were not sagged at all, but the donors were. I bet you can get the same!

I did the same. Use my whole stock with another stock XJ main and the second leaf. Im sitting at 3" lift.

Back