• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifter Knock....

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 that has a lifter knock is there something better then MMO or Sea Foam to help quiet or fix this knock??

dont know of anything better, but it does take awhile for the knock to go away. it may take a few oil changes and a few apllications of MMO.

a more aggressive approach is to use a qt of tranny fluid in the oil and drive a couple hundred miles and than change the oil.

what weight motor oil are you using?

What brand of oil filter are you using? Fram has a notoriously bad anti-drainback valve that allows for dry starts. I switched to Wix (Napa Gold) on my 4.0 and quieted a lot of the noise.

On high mileage engines, you're never going to eliminate the lifter noise entirely.

What brand of oil filter are you using? Fram has a notoriously bad anti-drainback valve that allows for dry starts. I switched to Wix (Napa Gold) on my 4.0 and quieted a lot of the noise.

On high mileage engines, you're never going to eliminate the lifter noise entirely.

I noticed a low RPM lifter tap when Jiffy Lube put in 10w30 instead of straight 30 like I wanted. Straight 30 is all I've ever used. I'm in Houston, it's always hot here.

Back