• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I just bolt it in??

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I've had an XJ D44 sitting in my driveway for a while and decided to get on it. I trussed it raised the shock mounts and dropped it off to get gears put in it. I was wondering if I could bolt it into my heep when I get it back without doing anymore mods. As of right now I don't have a SYE and I am running the RE 4.5 kit with 33's. I'm gonna drop the front axle off in a little bit to get gears and for an extra 100 he's gonna put my SYE in. I figured it was worth my time cause he's giving me a good deal as long as its bench work. I'm running the chryco 8.25 now and want to feel the difference as soon as I get it back. I already know not to put it in 4wd unless I want to hear it go boom, and I'm taking the front DS out for good measure

Will the driveshaft fit? I dunno if it will but I'm asking in case you haven't thought of it.

8.25 Mopar & D44 use the same driveshafts & U-bolts, still buy new u-bolts though. Get some 9 1/16" U-bolts made up, they work great.
The same length? Really? So I could go down to the junk yard and pull a ds from a Jeep with an AW4 like mine and an 8.25 rather than looking for one with a D44 and it'll fit? That'll save me so much trouble if it's true. Sorry for the hijack.

I haven't personally used used the 8.25 shaft yet, but I have repeatedly heard from various sources including this forum that the 8.25 & D44 shafts will interchange. We are doing a D44 swap on my kids' 95[5spd, D35] & the donor rig is an A/T and we should need a new shaft. I'm confident this is good info.

The shaft was the thing that was making me think as well. I'm getting the SYE put in after so I will have a new DS eventually but I want to drive with my new 4.56's now

i believe the d44 has a longer snout on it than the 8.25, which would mean at stock height you would need a slightly shorter shaft. lifted you should be fine, but im not positive on that. i end up selling every d44 ive pulled before i get a chance to put it in my XJ :laugh:

issues of drop-in-ability include brake lines (truss' usually gets in the way). and if you droped the lower shock mounts, you have to consider shock length/fitment.
i wouldnt worry about the front driveshaft... ive yet to 'accidently' put it in 4x. and im POSITIVE my short term memory is worse than mosts.

Back