• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Winch Line Question Will It Fit

bigbadwolf54

NAXJA Forum User
So first off I have a Warn m8000 winch, I had a steel cable on it but it got to the point were it was so kinked up I no longer felt safe using it so I just took it off. Well now I have been looking into getting a synthetic line, and ran acroos a brand new Viking Offroad Combo Line that I should be able to pickup really cheap. It's 3/8x125" with 19,600lb breaking strength. My question is will it work with my winch. I know my current line is 100 ft but would I be able to get this to fit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, it'll fit with room to spare. Synthetic line seems to take up less space than cable.

when you spool it for the first time, make sure you have a slight load on it like you had to do with the steel cable. When you put a load on sythetic, its gets smaller in diamter, and will allow it to fit.

~James

Hmmm... be careful here, your steel cable is 5/16", and the synthetic line is 3/8", thats a big difference when your spooling 100' of line. Call Viking and ask them (or check on www.winchline.com site to see if they have conversions).

My HS9500 winch had 125' of 5/16" steel cable, and I was told that if I wanted 3/8" rope, to only get 100', not 125'. I am glad I did, I would not have had room for another 25' of rope.

A.

125" (inches) will fit easily, but your friends may get tired of the short pulls :) maybe that's why it's really cheap :)

I bought a M8000 that had 125' of 3/8 Masterpull line on it. It barely fit. It would only wrap all the way if it was wrapped very neatly. I checked their website and Masterpull recommended 85' of 3/8 line for the M8000. I took the last 35 or so feet off and made an extension rope out of it and refinished the end. Now the rope fits much better and I also relegated the most worn part of the line to back-up duty :)

I'd have to agree with the prior comments, besides that.......your winch is rated at 8k on the first wrap of the spool, after that...load ratings decrease and voltage draw increases......wrapping an extra layer of cable/rope is actually counter productive in the big picture.

ok well that deal fell through so looks like il just be goin with amsteel blue. So for my aplication 5/16x100' would be ideal correct?

I just paid $165 for 100 feet of 5/16 amsteel on ebay. came with the 12 foot protector sheath, stainless thimble and hook. pretty good deal I thought.

~James

I did 85 feet of the 3/8" Amsteel from winchline.com. I'm running a Tmaxx aw-9000 and it just fits. To wind your line like it was new, take your spare however many feet away with your line extended then drag it in. Gives a perfect wrap. My spare is a beater get me back home tire so I'm not too worried about it.

Back