• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another hack n Tap question?

feelinsomewheelin

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking into RE Hack n Taps for a 242. the pre 96 comes in 2 pieces, the part you bolt to the t case (Red) and the part that bolts to the DS. The 96 + only comes with the part that bolts to DS. I dont know what the year the case is because i pulled it from a junk yard but i do know its stamped 242 J. From looking at the case i would assume i would want the 231 pre 96 Hack n Tap. Can anyone set me straight. Thanks Here is a site to show what im talking about. http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/SlipYoke.htm

Post up a pic of the output shaft/cone on your 242 and someone should be able to tell.

a pre 96 tcase has a "wet" spline on the ds the second peice of the RE sye is a seal that gets pressed in to the red peice in the kit which bolts to the back of your tcase. a post 96 tcase has a smaller tail cone with a seal around the output shaft instead of around the outside of the drive shaft.

so the real quesiton is are your splines wet or dry. also the year is usually stamped right on the back of the tcase on that information tag. i forget how its said but on the 3 tcases ive had its always had the year on that tag.

Bottom line is you need the Pre-96 kit.

sorry for an old bump but i need a little help,
so i have a '00 xj with the 242 t-case, is the RE 96+ SYE kit what i need? here is a pic of the t-case
PIC-0096.jpg

What do you mean use the kit for a 231 on a 242? The H&T will fit both the 231 and the 242. The HD SYE will only fit the 231.

Back