• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner front fenders question

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
Alright on my '98 XJ I'm taking the fender flares off. Well, I'm taking off the metal brackets that should hold the flares on. When you guys put new flares on such as Bushwackers or custom flares, do you guys leave this plastic inner fender on, trim it or what? Mine is just kinda hanging there without the fender flares on. I don't think taking the inner fender out will help as I can see how flinging mud and dirt will go up into the fender and would be a pain to clean out.
I was hoping of leaving the flares off until I either make new ones or buy some new ones, I'm tired of losing stock flares. Thanks.

I tried foam. I didn't like it. Save it for your house. Got get some sheet metal and bend it up. Rivot it to the fender, weld it on the inside. The rivots will be hidden by your flare. That way if you take your doors off you won't have any water/mud come through the gap. Plus it will look good.

I just went to the local arts and crafts store and bought some 4" thick foam (for seats, pillows, ect.) for like $10 (I know...expensive, but I couldnt find a pool noodle) and then I cut up enough foam that I thought would fit, duck taped it all the way around, and stuck it in the gap. My drivers side stays in nicely because some bolts stick out holding it in place...but my passenger side fell out on the way to the trails (I have the antenna that goes up and down so I dont have any room in there).

I havent had many problems with mud and crap getting in there though.

~Scott

Glad you guys know what I was talking about, it was hard to explain. I just dont want to fling mud and dirt in there, obviously cause rust. I'll try making a sheetmetal contraption to put up in there, as I won't be running flares until I figure out how to make them. I'd initially like to make some tube flares but I have no welder. Bushwackers are too much money, and I haven't found any TJ flares for a good price either.

Leave one of those noodles in the pool, take it out and squeeze it. They definitely let out a bunch of water.

If they did, the freakin kids would drown don't you think? :twak:

I did the pool noodle and expanding foam as well. Painted it with spray on undercoating after and haven't had a single problem since. I'll keep an eye out for rust, but I've had the doors off a few times and never seen any dirt or mud come through that area. Hinges are completely protected.

I've cut down the inner flare to work with my cut fenders. It's not perfect but it works.

Hmm - hadn't considered the tin+rivets plan...have already cut my fenders for TJ flares and was thinking of riveting the old fender liner in place after strategic cutting. Might go with the tin, rivets and undercoating instead as it seems more sensible.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Hmm - hadn't considered the tin+rivets plan...have already cut my fenders for TJ flares and was thinking of riveting the old fender liner in place after strategic cutting. Might go with the tin, rivets and undercoating instead as it seems more sensible.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I'd post a pic of the way I did it, but I'm not into blasting my pics. Do it the right way. Sheet metal. I can't believe what people do to their XJ's. Pool noodle? Whatever.

I'd post a pic of the way I did it, but I'm not into blasting my pics. Do it the right way. Sheet metal. I can't believe what people do to their XJ's. Pool noodle? Whatever.

LOL its a Jeep dude, not a corvette. You don't have a problem with people hacking up the fenders and taking off the doors, but put a piece of foam in the fender to stop rocks from flying in your face, and its ruined!

100_0832.jpg

100_0834.jpg

"LOL its a Jeep dude, not a corvette. You don't have a problem with people hacking up the fenders and taking off the doors, but put a piece of foam in the fender to stop rocks from flying in your face, and its ruined!"

Who said "hacking fenders"? Taking doors off is temporary. Who said the word "riuned"? Putting a sponge inside your fender so that everytime you open your door you see a giant orange peel is amatuer. Do what you like. Look how you want to. I'm more into permanent solutions. I understand you found a solution to your problem. I'm just suggesting a better way to appraoch it.

Also if your don't look at your Jeep as something your proud of well then maybe it's easy to hide behind the "it's not a corvette" joke. I personally don't accept that and treat mine as if it were.

I still haven't found that good of an answer. Yeah the pool noodle thing seems ghetto, but it might be the best option. Right now I'm riding without the inner fenders and washing the fenders out anally (well, not really but I am paying more attention). I still keep with "It's a Jeep" but I do like my rig to look clean, hence why I haven't cut anything. Too often have I seen people hack the crap out of their fenders and quarter panels with a sawzall, no guide tape or anything. It looks bad IMO.
It was mint when I got it, it looks a little worse now but I still like to keep the paint shiny and keep the interior good. I'm not afraid to wheel it or modify it in a way that I can reverse it to stock appearance if needed (not that I would but maybe I would want a stock piece back on in the future).
I tried buying sheet metal, cutting it and bending it but unfortunately the tin shears and pliers technique I tried didn't come out as planned, that and there's nowhere to mount the sheet metal. So back to square one.

Last edited:
"LOL its a Jeep dude, not a corvette. You don't have a problem with people hacking up the fenders and taking off the doors, but put a piece of foam in the fender to stop rocks from flying in your face, and its ruined!"

Who said "hacking fenders"? Taking doors off is temporary. Who said the word "riuned"? Putting a sponge inside your fender so that everytime you open your door you see a giant orange peel is amatuer. Do what you like. Look how you want to. I'm more into permanent solutions. I understand you found a solution to your problem. I'm just suggesting a better way to appraoch it.

Also if your don't look at your Jeep as something your proud of well then maybe it's easy to hide behind the "it's not a corvette" joke. I personally don't accept that and treat mine as if it were.
If you don't like the orange, why don't you paint it?.....Just a thought. Id go with the noodle, because if you decide one day you want to do it the other way just go get yourself a razor blade and remove the noodle.

Last edited:
If you don't like the orange, why don't you paint it?.....Just a thought. Id go with the noodle, because if you decide one day you want to do it the other way just go get yourself a razor blade and remove the noodle.
I thought about that one too, it wouldn't be bad if it was black like the inner fender. I just really don't want to look at my wheels and see a neon orange foam pool noodle sticking out. Black would fit in better.

Back