• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chromoly D44 Knuckles?

I hesitate to make a coment since I dont know anything about Chinese Chromoly!
Remember,"if it sounds to good to be true....."!

Those look like regular cast knuckles that have been sandblasted. Thats exactly what mine looked like after I sand blasted mine.

Those look like regular cast knuckles that have been sandblasted. Thats exactly what mine looked like after I sand blasted mine.

That's what I was thinking, looks like BS. Probably going to just have my knuckles sand blasted and machined for high steer arms.

I don't understand what makes you guys think these are made in China, they might be but there is no indication that they are, and if they are so what? What makes you thnk that this is not exactly what the ebay auction says it is? I run highsteer arms from the same company, Harsh Terrain, and they appear to be of excellent quality. Also, if you look at the pictures you'll notice that there are no casting numbers that are found on OEM flattop knuckles.

This is a picture of my Ford stock flattop knuckles right after having them media blasted, they don't look anything like the picture in the auction.
knuckle1-1.jpg

Picture of the knuckles in the auction. The auction says they are 4140 chromoly and zinc plated. They look plated to me.
ht-knuckle.jpg

Also, the company posted thier phone number, if you have questions why not pick up the phone and call them rather than rely on questionable opinions from random people on the internet. This company has been selling thier own 4x4 parts for a long time on ebay and they have 100% positive feedback from people that have purchased thier products.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind knowing more - I didn't think you could cast 41xx or 43xx effectively. (I know it can be cast - duh! - I just didn't think it would maintain its desirable mechanical properties without being wrought, instead of cast.) My initial reaction was "that's an awful lot of machining from a large billet, and an incredible waste of material..."

41xx and 43xx alloys were initially designed to be wrought, and to be welded using a carburising (slightly rich) gas flame (which made field repair of the high-strength parts easier.) But, if it can be cast and maintain its properties, why not? I don't know anywhere near everything, despite what some people would have me beleive (I know what I know, I know what I don't know, and I'm willing to be convinced when I'm in error anyhow. That's how I learn...)

Granted, with something like that I'd prefer a plating better than straight zinc (there are some Teflon/moly coatings that are baked into the metal that I think would serve better that close to the ground...) but that would cost more.

If anyone finds out more about these, I'd love to hear it!

(Caveat - if you go with 4140 outers, you've just shifted the "weak point" - save the ball joints - to the inners. Perhaps finding 4140 inner knuckles may be in order as well? Of course, then you'd shift it to the tubes - but you should be able to find 4140 thickwall tubing without too much trouble, and that is going to be wrought tubing!)

These knuckles were donated and ARE on the giveaway rig, FWIW.

P9160005.jpg

Finally, a picture! You guys gonna move that brakeline in close to the shock so the tire doesn't get it right? I don't want to have to do little things like that after I win it. :)

Finally, a picture! You guys gonna move that brakeline in close to the shock so the tire doesn't get it right? I don't want to have to do little things like that after I win it. :)

Finally? How about you follow along with the build thread in the Member's Forum...

And do you mean that stock, cut, brakeline? Yeah, I think "we" are gonna move it............;)

Last edited:
I don't understand what makes you guys think these are made in China, they might be but there is no indication that they are, and if they are so what? What makes you thnk that this is not exactly what the ebay auction says it is? I run highsteer arms from the same company, Harsh Terrain, and they appear to be of excellent quality. Also, if you look at the pictures you'll notice that there are no casting numbers that are found on OEM flattop knuckles.
Dude, relax. I don't know why you quoted me unless you couldn't read, but I didn't say anything about China in my post did I? I only said they looked like my knuckles after I sandblasted them. I didn't say anything about their quality or anything.

Dude, relax. I don't know why you quoted me unless you couldn't read, but I didn't say anything about China in my post did I? I only said they looked like my knuckles after I sandblasted them. I didn't say anything about their quality or anything.

I'm very relaxed. I only quoted you because you implied they were just sandblasted OEM knuckles. I could have quoted any of several posts, I wasn't directing my reply directly at you..... although it might have appeared so... lol. I probably shouldn't have quoted anyone.

I checked out their Ebay store everything looks legit and great prices. Looks like I will just have the knuckles I already have machined for High steer arms.

I checked out their Ebay store everything looks legit and great prices. Looks like I will just have the knuckles I already have machined for High steer arms.
I highly recommend John Nutter Enterprises for having your knuckles machined. I sent him mine and he had A++ customer service, and he had them machined and ready to send back out the day he received them. Cost is $95 for two knuckles and includes return shipping. Machining was top quality.

I highly recommend John Nutter Enterprises for having your knuckles machined. I sent him mine and he had A++ customer service, and he had them machined and ready to send back out the day he received them. Cost is $95 for two knuckles and includes return shipping. Machining was top quality.

Nutter is good people. I've known him on the tubes for a number of years.

Ya I talked with him for a little when I first contacted him. He wanted to make sure that I had disc brakes knuckles rather than drum brakes, as the year I told him had the possibility of both. His words were "I can machine either, but I want to make sure you don't end up paying for machine work on knuckles you can't use." That in my opinion is the best type of business person.

2k 65" you would need to run 4" to 5" of backspaceing

I already have a narrowed housing that is 61" Trying to keep as stock width as possible because I DD my rig.

Back on subject if you want another opinion, I would be very hesitant of those knuckles. Not only is 4140 not a steel that is usually cast it also is not a steel that takes coatings well. I would think it would take a very skilled company to cast it. The next problem is the coating. High strength steels like 4140 suffer from hydrogen embrittlement when dipped in acidic conditions. If the proper post treatments were not taken after the zinc treatments the knuckles could actually be weaker then a normal cast steel.

Back