• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Leak Where Transfer Case Meets

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
My ax15 just started leaking gear oil the other day and I believe it is to be right where it meets the transfer case (231). My question is, if the transfer case is over filled, would that cause the excess to leak out the seal and to the weep hole.... prob not just was wondering though.... Also, I am going to be making a long trip this weekend (600miles or so) and was wondering if the seal is bad, then is it not a good idea to drive on it that long..?

Thanks guys,
Josh

'96 ax15, np231 with sye kit, 3" lift

It's really easy enough to tell -

If it's gear oil (amber and thick,) then check the output seal on the transmission (it does seal agains the transfer case input shaft, but the two fluids do not communicate) or check that the transfer case adapter housing is sealed to the transmission case.

If it's transmission fluid (red and runny,) it came out of your transfer case. Probably the transfer case input shaft seal.

Either of the three possibles (transfer case adapter housing, transmission output seal, transfer case input seal) require removal of the transfer case for access.

Thanks for reply...

Well yes, I know its gear oil and I figured you had to drop the t-case, just wondering if there was an easier way to tell and if it can be driven for a long time (providing i keep gear oil in the manual tranny...) i guess i'll find out....

Provided you keep enough oil in the tranny, you can go on this way until something else fails to strand you.

However, how long do you think it will be before you manage to forget something important, and not put oil in the tranny? Just fix the thing - it's cheaper in the long run - especially now that you've an idea what it is.

It's the output seal on the tranny, most often called an "extension housing seal" in the books at parts counters.

Jeff

neoutputseal.jpg

Back