• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new brakes needed

May want to consider just getting your drums turned at a brake shop instead of replacing them. Replacements for my D44 was over $100, turning them was $20.

I got my front brake setup from Quadratec and plan to get their rear drum kit next. Prices arent bad, about the same as I priced at the local napa. Shipping from them was really quick too.

^does that just like resurface them or something? i had no idea that i could do that

Yes its just like turning a rotor (if you knew that could be done). Basically all they do is cut a few thousandths of an inch off of the drum (more like .005-.010" depending on the depth of grooves and such). It just removes any imperfections of the inside of the drum (i.e. grooves, thickness variation, and out of roundness). This will give a fresh surface for your new shoes so they won't get eaten up if you were to just slap shoes on it. Also make sure whoever does it sands them really well otherwise the shoes can grab the freshly cut surface and be pulled to the outboard side of the drum when you apply the brakes. Then when you release them you can hear them snap back towards the backing plate. And this can chew up shoes as well. But they should measure the before turning to ensure that you will not exceed the max diameter and allowing .030"(?) for wear.

Just go to your local auto parts store and get what you need

Back