• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumping Exhaust under Jeep?

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a question about dumping the exhaust under the jeep. I just bought a replacement catalytic converter from napa due to my old one rattling
badly and i currently have a borla pro-xs muffler on the jeep with 2.5 inch exhaust running out to the back of the jeep. the old exhaust is welded and
clamped on with old, rusted clamps that i am going to have to cut off.

My main concern is staying legal(in texas). id like to run the catalytic converter->Borla Muffler-> 2.5 inch turndown but is Dumping the exhaust under the cab legal?
Ive heard that you can dump the exhaust under the cab as long as it is past the last openable passenger window(I have a 2dr XJ) so can i dump it at the end of the muffler
since the back windows do not open. Id like to stay away from running a tailpipe again since all it does is add weight and make the installation more
complicated(i am installing this exhaust myself).

Any opinions or recommendations on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

not sure on the legality of it but thats how ive got mine routed. be ready for it to sound MUCH louder than it did before, and make sure the turndown is not pointing at the rear axle.

i dont see the point in dumping the exhaust underneath.

is this a daily driver? i would jsut add the tailpipe. what are you gaing by this?

you said its added weight and makes installation complicated. if thats your reason, i dont get it.

yes, its a daily driver. the tailpipe is f###ed up and i dont want to take it to a muffler shop so i can have a new pipe bent. i also want it to be louder, and i like the clean look of no tailpipe

thanks again for all the replies

I dumped the exhaust on my TJ just after the muffler......mainly because I didn't want to worry about bending the tailpipe on a rock or stump like I had previously. Also, I had installed a LA suspension and didn't feel like getting custom bent tubing.

I kept the stock cat and ran a cherry bomb glass pack with a turndown on the end and I didn't find it to be much louder than stock (slightly, but not a whole lot). I like the setup and have been asked by a few people what kind of exhaust I run because they like the sound of it.

Not sure about texas inspection laws but here in MA the tailpipe is supposed to exit past the passenger compartment, not the last openable window. So, dumping it under the bed of a pickup would be fine, but the same location isn't fine on an SUV body.

Why not keep the mangled tailpipe for inspections and then just do the turndown?? I used to run a turndown after the cat....even that got hit!! Now I have a full muffler and tailpipe and it exits out the side over the rear leaf because there isn't enough clearance between the shackle and the skid.

I wasn't a huge fan of having the turndown. I used to get some fumes in the cab....which is exactly why it wasn't legal!! IMO, it's one of those laws that isn't totally stupid.

Back