• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Airbag light question.

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
I've done the searching and like everyone else I think my problem is unique and new...

ANYWAY...

98 Sport 4.0 4x4 Automatic
My airbag light comes on and goes off but is mostly on now. It started yesterday after getting a car wash (the day before I did some mild wheeling). It was a hand wash so it wasn't power blasted or anything.

I've done the search and it doesn't turn off with a turn signal trick and it isn't constant. None of the gauges drop off, the A/C works fine and so does the cruise.

I saw mentioned something about pushing the trip reset button? (someone explain?)

Also can you get codes off this? The check engine light doesn't trip. Fishing for help here!

Last edited:
When my airbag light goes on, I just bang on the dash or push in on the cluster face. It's just a bad connection.

Yesterday, I actually removed my cluster so that I could plug in another cluster in order to check the mileage on it.

While I had the original cluster out, I checked to see that the connectors were clean, which they were. And when I put the cluster back in, I made sure to push the connectors on nice and tight.

And today, I did not have the airbag light problem or the intermittent on and off of the gauges.

So I think it's all good.

Yesterday, I actually removed my cluster so that I could plug in another cluster in order to check the mileage on it.

While I had the original cluster out, I checked to see that the connectors were clean, which they were. And when I put the cluster back in, I made sure to push the connectors on nice and tight.

And today, I did not have the airbag light problem or the intermittent on and off of the gauges.

So I think it's all good.

This weekend the dash will come apart.:wow:
redeye202

Before you take your dash apart, try just tapping or pushing on the face of the guage cluster like xjohnnyc suggested - I also have a '98 and had this same problem until I pushed in on the face of the cluster. No more airbag light.

Before you take your dash apart, try just tapping or pushing on the face of the guage cluster like xjohnnyc suggested - I also have a '98 and had this same problem until I pushed in on the face of the cluster. No more airbag light.

I think that would be a temp fix,i will take the dash apart and hopfully make it a perm fix.
redeye202

Wow, well right now I'm guessing it really is the clockspring. My horning stopped working today. So I tried out my cruise and it doesn't want to come on either. So there is definitely a problem in the wheel. I REALLY hope thats the reason for the airbag light.

I have this problem but I have no bus on my odometer, someone told me it's a bad ground in the steering column. to try and wiggle the trip knob to see if it would work. I also heard this happens alot when someone washes or it rains on there Jeep both with XJ and YJ. I think there is something to the rain thing.

on mine i can turn the ignition on with the key not 100% in like just barely not all the way in and the airbag light comes on. I can just turn it off shove the key and turn it back on and everythings fine. Maybe there could be a worn out ignition switch causing some of these problems?

EDIT: my 99

ignition switch is def. a possibility but I took those two big connectors under the dash driverside all the way to the left (on the fender wall I guess is the best way to describe it) unscrewed that bolt and reseated everything and now it's out but I found out that unplugging the TCM took away the airbag light and the no bus on my odometer.

Back