• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will turn over but wont start...help!!!

alaska3452000@yaho

NAXJA Forum User
So heres the problem, i have a 88 cherokee with the 4.0 inline six. I have a 6 1/2 in lift, 33 inch tires, and a few other aftermarket parts, i noticed that the oil pan gasket was leaking so i decided that since i was going to change the gasket i might as well change the rod bearings.....simple enough right? Wrong. I changed both, got everything back together, filled it with oil and attempted to start it up. Now it will turn over but no start. I though it was the battery so i charged it, no good, tested the coil, its fine, changed the coil wire, still wont start, checked all my plugs and connections, there fine. It ran great when i pulled it in the shop now nothing. It will turn over forever, or at least till the battery dies but it wont start up. Anyone ever have this problem? If so what do i do? Im at my wits end with this problem. PLEASE HELP! Thanks for listening to me whine.:rattle:

its gotta be something you're overlooking, like a ground strap on the engine or something stupid that came loose while you were under there. If thats all you did was the OP gasket and rod bearings, then it should be fine.

does it have fuel pressure and spark?

See thats the thing, fuel is fine but my father in law was helping me trouble shootit the other day and he said there was no spark. That is why this is so frustrating. Like i said it ran fine till i changed the oil pan gasket and bearings. I checked the coil and it tested fine. i just dont get it.

I tried ether in the intake, no go, i have heard that it is possibly the crank sensor, but i checked the plugs, but of course if i have heard it from like 10 diffrent people it might be worth a shot. Are they difficult to change?

defiantly in a tough spot. but if you have somebodies help, its alot easier. just changed mine today, took all of 10 min or so. expensive tho!!

Back