• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Additional parts for 5-5.5" lift?

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I currently am running a RE 3.5" Superflex lift on my 98 XJ, which came with new lower control arms. I'm thinking about putting on some shackles and spacers to get an additional 1-2" to fit 35's.

What additional parts will I need to replace, i.e. track bar, pitman arm, upper control arms, etc. I would plan on doing a hack and tap SYE as I'm still stock right now without any vibes.

Also, my XJ has the D30 up front and the 29 spline 8.25 in back. Will these axles hold up to some 35x14.5 Boggers, or is that too much?

your front dana 30 is LP, i'd be more concerned about that, than the strength, since you're just mud running down here anyways.

i needed a trackbar for mine once i got over 3 inches, had some terrible death wobble.

you might want adjustable uppers for your pinion angle, and caster. jks makes some pretty nice ones, i would have went with those if i wasn't going with the front leafs and 38.5's.

your front dana 30 is LP
Wrong, they didn't intro duce the LP till 2000, his is a HP.

You will need drop bractes or long arms, SYE and slip yoke, and ideally new steering. No need for a drop pitman.

You will need drop bractes or long arms,
x2 if you still want to drive it every day without hating the ride, get drop brackets or a long arm kit. you will also need an adjustable track bar as stated above, and possibly a track bar relocation bracket to get the steering angles right again.

can you do it without these mods? yes. will it ride nice and steer good? NO. trust me you will hate driving your jeep if you dont do it the right way. if this is not your daily driver then screw it just boost it up and dont worry about how it rides on the road. if you drive it often do it right the first time.

you COULD run 5.5 on short arms, it might not be comfortable, but its not as unsafe as stock steering at that height.

you definately need a
-tracbar/bracket
-steering upgrade like jcr

it might just be easier to retire your re 3.5sf (move it over to another xj, or even sell it)and start over on a new lift. but, i know you probably dont want to hear it, but long arms would be nice.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to have to think it over a little bit and decide if it's worth it, or just stay where I'm at with my 33" TSL's. It's not a daily driver at all, so I'm not really worried about the ride.

Look at what RE includes in the 5.5" kit, subtract everything you got in your 3.5" kit.

Rubiconexpress.com said:
RE1141 ~ GEN2 DISCONNECTS 2"-3.5" TJ,
RE1345 ~ COIL SPRINGS XJ-5.5 / ZJ-4.
RE1383 ~ BUMPSTOPS 3" FRONT LOWER
RE1462 ~ LEAF SPRING XJ 4.5" W/BUSHING
RE1515 ~ BRAKE LINE SS REAR 18"
RE1550 ~ BRAKE LINE SET SS FRONT 22"
RE1660 ~ TRACK BAR, XJ/ZJ EXTREME-DUTY
RE1665 ~ TRACK BAR BRACKET, HD XJ/ZJ
RE2120 ~ T-CASE LOWERING KIT XJ/ZJ 3/4"
RE2421 ~ U-BOLT KIT M35 REAR, YJ / XJ 2
RE2700 ~ SHACKLE XJ REAR 5"
RE3700 ~ CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED
RE9900 ~ XJ CONTROL ARM DROP BRACKETS
RE9905 ~ SUPPORT BRACES FOR RE9900
RE9921 ~ SWAY BAR RELOCATION BRACKETS

x2 what cal said. i did pretty much what you r about to do this year. i went from 4 to 6. steering is going to be very important, so r brakes. you may want to think about stopping that thing with big tires on rear discs instead of drums.. also an alloy axle for the d30 would be good with going over 33.

just my 2 cents added to cals.

Cipey

post pics

I just decided to stick with 33's as I got a set of basically brand new TSL's. I trimmed the front fenders last night as they rubbed bad. Works well now. I'm going to trim the rear fenders tonight.

Back