• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Drain

lizdog

NAXJA Forum User
Was thinking about replacing all the original hoses on my 01 XJ. After looking the job over it seems the hardest part is getting to the raidator drain. I took the grill off but couldn't find a drain. I finally found it looking from under the hood with a flashlight but it looks impossible to get to. A lot different than my 94 Cherokee. I've heard its easier just to remove the lower riadiator hose to drain. Any ideas are appreciated but I may just wait till a hose breaks before I worry about replacing them.

I just put a CSF Rad in my jeep. Take the front clip off and remove the headlight and marker lamp. I was able to open mine with a little fanageling and some needle nose pliers.

Taking the lower radiator hose off at the block also works well, but can be messy. If your replacing all your hoses you could probably just poke a hole in the lower rad hose too.

just poke a hole in the lower rad hose too.

Then you have no trail spare! I had a lower rad hose cost me a long walk, hitchhiked a ride to town, and a ride back to my truck with a cop

Jegs has Be Cool Radiators Universal Petcock Tubes.

1 1/2" Straight #134-72013 $36.99
1 3/4" Straight #134-72014 $36.99

Replace the pressure cap, as well as the Thermostat with the anti-freeze every 2 years is good periodic maintenance. Mix the anti-freeze with Distilled Water, which is water that has had the minerals and impurities removed (they form scale and solids in the cooling system). The anti-corrosion additives in anti-freeze can be depleted within 2 years, after that, the system will start to corrode/pit/erode and the depleted additives start to form solids and scale, that clog up the system and/or hurt the water pump.

Beware of the "ALL MAKES and MODELS, MIXES WITH ANY COLOR ANTI-FREEZE" that is being sold at many stores today by several manufacturers, ITS DEXCOOLED Dyed a different color. Dexcool, NOR this stuff, does NOT mix with other anti-freezes (if you read the fine print on the back it says to totally drain and flush your system removing any traces of previous anti-freeze before adding. Look for 2-EHA or 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate, if its in there, its dexcool. It fails to protect certain metals and softens certain plastics and seals.

If your going to use a Long Life Anti-Freeze, use the Zerex G-05, its NOT Dexcool and actually mixes with other anti-freezes, protects all metals, doesn't soften plastic or seals. If you do mix it, make sure to use the change cycle of the lesser anti-freeze.

Beware of the "ALL MAKES and MODELS, MIXES WITH ANY COLOR ANTI-FREEZE" that is being sold at many stores today by several manufacturers, ITS DEXCOOLED Dyed a different color. Dexcool, NOR this stuff, does NOT mix with other anti-freezes (if you read the fine print on the back it says to totally drain and flush your system removing any traces of previous anti-freeze before adding. Look for 2-EHA or 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate, if its in there, its dexcool. It fails to protect certain metals and softens certain plastics and seals.

If your going to use a Long Life Anti-Freeze, use the Zerex G-05, its NOT Dexcool and actually mixes with other anti-freezes, protects all metals, doesn't soften plastic or seals. If you do mix it, make sure to use the change cycle of the lesser anti-freeze.

Very interesting. I've always wondered about this.....

Back