• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to lower an XJ 1"?

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm planning to move with my XJ to Vermont. They have a lame bumper height law. If I read it correctly, my XJ is in the < 4500lbs GVWR bracket, which gives me a max bumper height (measured from bottom of bumper) of 24" front and 26" rear. I'm at about 25" in the front. Of course there's a chance they'll let me slide, but just case I need ideas.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Get lower springs. Money looser. Would probably lower more than 1".
  2. Remove spring isolator. Probably lower it 1/2". Any downsides to this?
  3. Get a winch bumper and a winch. Expensive, but adds functionality. Think that would compress the suspension enough? I'm running RE 4.5" springs, no extra weight in the front right now.
  4. Drop bumper is not an option. The law says if you have a drop bumper then they measure the hight to the fscking frame rail (douches) :banghead:
  5. ?
Thanks
Jeff

What kind of bumper do you have in the front now? If it's stock bumper then a heavier bumper and winch would probably bring it down a little. Also you could look at bumpers that are wider (from top to bottom) than the stock bumper which could take care of it. Usually though most police won't harass you to much about bumper height unless you're obviously way out of the limits.

So happy I don't live in VT. Im not that tall yet but i plan on being one day. you could let air out of your tires while you get an inspection, then fill them up again after you pass. I doubt any cops would notice you being an inch too high even if you got stopped for some reason.

What gets me is there's a law like that in TN but the people who get harassed about it the most are the lowriders. The limit is above 12 below 24 to keep the bumpers of vehicles closer together, but at those limits if any of us were to hit a lowrider we'd just go right up over the hood anyways. My bumper sits about 27" and I've never gotten a second look even with the doors removed, most cops wave actually.

I lower my air pressure in my tires to get it inside my trailer..I have 33's on it.. i take them down to like 15 and she clears..HTH This lowers my jeep down almost 2 inchs

I'd go taller. To quote NWA "F*ck the Police"

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get pulled over for it. If you don't drive like an idiot, you'll most likely be ok.

Well I did the smart thing and asked a wheelin' buddy in Vermont and he said that all 4x4's fall in the 28" front 30" rear bracket, including Cherokees, according to the inspectors and cops he's asked. So I think I will actually be all set. But thanks for the tips. I guess 2x4 Cherokees are SOL. Then again, lifting a 2x4 is tarded IMO.

Back