• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 and RE track bar questions

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
OK first and most important...

I just got an 8.25 out of a 98 XJ. I have a Dana 35 and about 4.5 inches of lift in my 1990 XJ now. Will I be alright using my Dana 35 drive shaft with the 8.25?

Secondly...

I also just got a used RE HD track bar and mount. The guy I got it from had to cut the bolt off on the axle end. He also cut a bit of the metal sleeve. Will I be able to use a stock metal sleeve or the one from my Rusty's track bar to replace the tore up RE one?

I really need to know about the drive shaft. I plan on swapping the axles within the week and don't want the slip yoke bottoming out in my TC.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you guys can offer.

I did this swap to my 90 and I used the D-35 shaft. The 8.25 shaft was too short for comfort for me and that was with a 2" lift. I eventually went with a PORC SYE and a front shaft that works much better but I ran the D-35 shaft for about 6 months.

Try it and see, If you think its too long, do like I did and put some weight in the rear of the Jeep to bring it to the bumpstops and see if its bottoming out. I had about 1/2" slip left at full compression with mine. Remember as the suspension compresses the axle moves up and to the rear of the vehicle at the same time(springs get flatter and the shackles allow the spring to move rearward) this movement keeps the distance fairly consistent.

I have a RE HD adjustable track bar but I'm not 100% sure if it uses the stock bushing/sleeve or not

I did this swap to my 90 and I used the D-35 shaft. The 8.25 shaft was too short for comfort for me and that was with a 2" lift. I eventually went with a PORC SYE and a front shaft that works much better but I ran the D-35 shaft for about 6 months.

Try it and see, If you think its too long, do like I did and put some weight in the rear of the Jeep to bring it to the bumpstops and see if its bottoming out. I had about 1/2" slip left at full compression with mine. Remember as the suspension compresses the axle moves up and to the rear of the vehicle at the same time(springs get flatter and the shackles allow the spring to move rearward) this movement keeps the distance fairly consistent.

I have a RE HD adjustable track bar but I'm not 100% sure if it uses the stock bushing/sleeve or not

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. I can't wait to get the 8.25 in. What a difference between the two axles. I've looked at Dana 35s much more than I'd like to and just checked out a 8.25 for the first time today.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have a 4.0L Automatic with a 231 TC, how about you?

I have a 95 4.0 AW4 and 231. October of 2006 I swapped in an 8.25 in place of my turdy-5. I used the stock 35 drive shaft with the 8.25. And thats with a KRustys 4.5" lift. I ran it that way until about 2 or 3 months ago when I did an SYE and used a stock front ds for the rear.

hth

Back