• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zinc additives anybody?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an easier place to get a zinc additive other than online? Is there anything that would be carried at a parts store maybe? Does Lucas contain any zddp?

I run oil from my local Autozone I believe is called ValueCraft. It label states it is for 2004 and older cars. It is still SL rated and sells for just under $2.00 a quart. Otherwise I order ZDDPlus online.

Is there an easier place to get a zinc additive other than online? Is there anything that would be carried at a parts store maybe? Does Lucas contain any zddp?

I started using STP oil treatment, very cheap and contains ZDDP.
I am not going to pay $15 per oil change for the online additive.

I run oil from my local Autozone I believe is called ValueCraft. It label states it is for 2004 and older cars. It is still SL rated and sells for just under $2.00 a quart. Otherwise I order ZDDPlus online.

Any idea what that bargain basement oil has for ZDDP?

The API specs just state the max concentrations allowed, and can't be used as a guide for how much is in there. A cheap SM rated oil might have less than a better branded SL oil.

Plenty of good reading here http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html. Interesting to note that adding ZDDP without a corresponding increase in detergents is a bad thing. They also state that moly should not be used in an engine oil as its antagonistic to copper bearings.

I've always considered STP to be snake oil - just heavy mineral oil and parafin in a bottle. I'll have to do some digging to see what the ZDDP concentrations are to see if its worth using as an additive.

Red Line Oil's (they make Water Wetter) engine break-in additive, as well as their motor oil has it. Use the dealer search on their web site. Might have to get it from a performance shop. I talked to Dave @ Red Line a while back and got some info from them. Their stuff has like 25-50 ppm more zddp than the 4.0 needs. All of their motor oils have the same levels too. A bottle of the break-in is good for 12qts oil. They were recommended to me by a buddy who races roundy-round in an old Chevelle. He swears by them.

I didn't ask about the syn. I was told that the 4.0 is supposed to run oil w/1150-1175 ppm and that their oils (dino) have 1200 ppm.

I think there may be a typo on those MSDSs. Correct my math if needed, but wouldn't 2% be 20,000 ppm? I think it should be 0.2%.

2% of 1,000,000 = .02(1,000,000) = 20,000
.2% of 1,000,000 = .002(1,000,000) = 2,000

.06% to .12% would be 600 to 1200 ppm, right?

Somebody please 'splain the ZDDP, Zinc, etc??
ZDDP = Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate
As I understand it, ZDDP acts similar to Restore engine oil additive, except that the zddp works on the flat tappets (flat lifters vs. roller lifters) in our motors. It coats the tappet to prevent excessive wear from contact with the cam lobes. The zddp is worn instead of the tappet. We need oil with zddp in it to replace what gets worn away so as to preserve this function.
Even if oil/additives to keep this going seems expensive, it's a lot cheaper than replacing lifters and/or cam shaft.

Last edited:
Maybe these will help.
Flat vs. Roller types
flat_v_roler.jpg

How it happens.
flat_pic.jpg

In our motors, the cam surface slides across the bottom of the lifter.

Theres a point where more zddp does nothing for better wear protection. It's good to have an overall balanced moly/zddp content. More than likely adding more zddp won't do anything for you.

Ok, this thread was started so I, and anybody else interested, could find out where to buy some zinc additive w/out having to order it online. You can keep tellin me that there's plenty of zinc in motor oil today but there's not. There's a good reason to be worried about new oil and cams ESPECIALLY if you've got an aftermarket cam. So yea, unless you don't count saving your cam from failure as doing anything for you then I guess you're right :rolleyes:

Bryson's technically correct. After a point, more won't do any good and may cause premature cat failure. Too little though...
failed-cam.jpg

One cam and tappet set could cost about the same as 700 qts Mobil 1 15-50 (1200ppm zddp, $8/qt) and a hundred dollar cat. You decide.

Last edited:
Back