• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine has no power

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
Temps out here in desert have finally dropped to the low 90's so I decided to head out and explore some trails. As i leave town I have to go up a hill, not too steep bit a couple of miles long. Normally I pull this hill in third gear but my XJ didn't seem to want to maintain 55 mph so I gave the Jeep a little more throttle and it dropped to second gear. The rpm's jumped up but there was no power. I couldn't go any faster than 55 mph and the rpm's would not rev higher than 3500 rpm in second even with the pedal to the floor. Turning around and coming home downhill it ran fine and I was able to get it up to 75 mph. Driving thru town It ran fine with no hesitations or stumbles. I let it cool down for an hour and tried again with the same results. The trans shifts fine thru all gears but I cannot get power at the higher rpm range. It will not rev past 3500 rpm in second gear trying to pull the hills. I have a 1992 cherokee with the 4.0 engine and Aw4 tansmission. Normally when pulling hills with all my junk on the Jeep (winch, roof rack with spare tire and lights, gerry cans, etc.) and I need a quick second gear downshift to maintain speed, the rpm's will jump past 4000 and get me up and over but this time second gear only gets me 3500 rpm and the engine just seems to quit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

the obvious suggestions would be check:
your grounds
cap/rotor/wires/spark/plugs
fuel pressure/fuel filter/fuel sock? fuel pump may be stumbling at higher rpm
fuel injectors working?
tps voltages
cat plugged?
vacuum leak?

how is your maintenance?/mileage?

Back