• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got an A/C Problem with my 99'

ctoerther

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up my first xj and have been having a problem with the ac. I've got a 99' base model. When i turn on the ac the fan blows out hot air. I'm pretty sure the compressor is kicking on and a did a recharge on the coolant and still nothing. I tried running a search for older threads with the same problem but nothing really turned up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

First question is.... HOW did you determine how much to add to the A/C system ??
The system in my '98 only holds a total of a couple pounds of R134a (2-3 12oz cans).
When the system is low, but still has pressure in the system....; you need to charge the system to superheat (approximately 12*). When the system still has pressure; it is difficult to charge properly by weight....
The most reliable way to charge is to fix the leak(s), evacuate and draw the system in to a vacuum (>29") and then charge the system by weight; adding what the factory recommends.... This should be on the A/C sticker listing type of refrigerant and oil.

It's difficult to gauge your level of wrenching and tech ability with your single post count. Maybe you can go over with us how the system was recharged and how you are determining that the compressor is turning.

My 97 takes less than 2 cans of freon for a complete charge after evacuating the system. I get vent temperatures in the 40's (farenheight) on a hot day in socal.

First question is.... HOW did you determine how much to add to the A/C system ??
The system in my '98 only holds a total of a couple pounds of R134a (2-3 12oz cans).
When the system is low, but still has pressure in the system....; you need to charge the system to superheat (approximately 12*). When the system still has pressure; it is difficult to charge properly by weight....
The most reliable way to charge is to fix the leak(s), evacuate and draw the system in to a vacuum (>29") and then charge the system by weight; adding what the factory recommends.... This should be on the A/C sticker listing type of refrigerant and oil.

Just checked the FSM and the sticker on the radiator crossbrace for my '98...
The factory recommends a weighed in charge of 1.25 lbs (approximately 20 oz) of R134a; which as CaliGold posted.... better part of (2) 12oz cans....

I had a a similar problem. The issue was actually the temperature control cable. Found it by accident. Look up under the passenger side of the dash, just to the right of the temperature control knob. Turn the control from cold to hot and make sure that the cable is actually moving the door that opens the heater air vent. On mine, the bracket that holds the end of the cable's sheath steady had broken off. Once the temperature was changed to hot, it could not be put back without doing it manually. My symptoms were hot air even though the compressor was on and everything seemed ok.

Now, I have another issue which I just posted. My vents are stuck on defrost. It is not the cannister, nor the lines going to it (which I did repair from battery acid damage). But, I still don't have enough vacuum at the control knob to switch modes. Everything works fine when I use a vacuum pump. I am trying to locate where the vacuum line goes through the firewall. I have found that the black vacuum hose coming at the switch is the supply. I only read 5in of vacuum at it. All controls seem to need 15in, which is what I read at the cannister. I wondering if it is pinched somewhere. Open to suggestions.

Back