• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unitized bearings on d30

I think the newer models use a needle type bearing instead of the ball type.

My 87 Bearings are OE from 87 and holding up nicely. Although mine is bone stock.....

I was under the impression the 90 & later unit bearing was an improved design. I always figured I would upgrade my 87 to the later type if they ever fail. I even saved spare pair of later hubs from one of my projects in case I ever need them.

I think the newer models use a needle type bearing instead of the ball type.

My 87 Bearings are OE from 87 and holding up nicely. Although mine is bone stock.....

Nope. 90+ are ball bearing with a torsion race design. Even though it's better than a typical ball bearing race it simply can't handle high thrust loading (typical of big tire Jeeps). This type of load is really suited for a tapered roller bearing.

Ball bearings are great for linear loads and high RPM, but HORRIBLE for any thrust loading. Hence why they are used in transmissions for example.

I'm not surprised you havn't had an issue with your 87.

was under the impression the 90 & later unit bearing was an improved design. I always figured I would upgrade my 87 to the later type if they ever fail. I even saved spare pair of later hubs from one of my projects in case I ever need them.

Definetly not. I'd really like to know why they did swap the design, but I'd be willing to bet it's related to cost. Jeep is actually the only MFG that I know of that chose to use a ball bearing style wheel bearing (stupid). :banghead:

Nope. 90+ are ball bearing with a torsion race design. Even though it's better than a typical ball bearing race it simply can't handle high thrust loading (typical of big tire Jeeps). This type of load is really suited for a tapered roller bearing.

Ball bearings are great for linear loads and high RPM, but HORRIBLE for any thrust loading. Hence why they are used in transmissions for example.

I'm not surprised you havn't had an issue with your 87.

I don't have a lift or bigger tires as of yet. I guess I will see when the lift and tires go on next year!

I've had 31"s & a lift on my 87 for years, maybe 100k, & 260k on the original hubs with no problems.When the unit bearings go it'll be time to buy locking hubs. I've repeatedly been told the later hubs are better but I guess Mopar strikes again. No wonder I love my AMC Renix.

I've had 31"s & a lift on my 87 for years, maybe 100k, & 260k on the original hubs with no problems.When the unit bearings go it'll be time to buy locking hubs. I've repeatedly been told the later hubs are better but I guess Mopar strikes again. No wonder I love my AMC Renix.

Yup. I had to replace my 99 units with only 90k on the clock. Unfortunetly I learned only after I replaced them about the ball bearing design. :(

The only difference is that they require the matching brake rotor because of a slightly different caliper offset between styles.

You can get Timken unit bearings for $75 each from rockauto.com.

They last MUCH longer than anything else out there, I put 50k on my last set on 35's before giving them to someone else who's put another 50k on them on 32's, and they are still tight.

Back