• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mad oilpressure gauge?

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers, Is it normal,that the oilpressuregauge is staying on 3 bar(45 psi), when I stop the motor. The ignitionkey is removed.
OK it mayby normal ,that a current is still present. But most strange is, when I disconnect the oilpressuresender,still the gauge is staying on 3 bar.
Does have the gauge a memory? or is the needle of the gauge a sticky one? Or is it mayby the ECU? (big brother)
:mad:

'92 XJ 31"BFGmuds 3"BB

Last edited:
Everything goes to 0 on my 98.

Funny I never noticed. My 88 also stays at the last reading when I shut off. If I turn the key again to RUN (but not start) it drops. I looked at the schematic and the diagram would indicate it should cut power to the gauge. I'll check it again in an hour or so and see where the gauge reads.

My 87 guage doesn't go allthe way to zero when the engine is off (key on). Also my guage bounces arround, I diagnosed this as a bad sending unit.

Yours sounds like the guage itself is funky.....

then the power shuts down theres nothing to move the gauge. mine stays at the last temp. the coolant oil and gas do this. after i leave it for a wile sometimes they fall to 0 when sitting but when i turn the key on they go back to the correct readings.

90xj laredo

i have a 99 sport 4.0L. My oil pressure gauge pegged at 80 over the summer, and then one day its went back to normal randomly, and now it sticks at like 45 even if the engine is off. I'd imagine its the sensor right next to the oil filter thats messed up.

4.0 oil pressure sending units are notoriously faulty

Yup, they sure are! I have had the best luck with OEM replacement units directly from Jeep. Best accuracy in mating with the Jeep gauge.

Probably not that important either way where it sits without power in the big scheme of things as long as you trust the accuracy when the engine is running. If you are unsure, test it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Takes only a few minutes and if you don't have that gauge, rent one from your favorite big box auto parts store.

Hi guys, on my 94 , key off the needle stays aroud 20 turn the key on and goes down to zero, but the plug can have corrosion or a bad connection , so my needle started to move crazy , but after cleaning the plug with contact cleaner and adding WURTH dielectric grease never did it again
\
Regards
german996

Back