• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 2000 LP pinion yoke change

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I need to replace a leaky pinion seal / pinion yoke, on D30 from a 2000 XJ. It is a LP axle and I suppose it has crush sleeve.

Am I supoosed to replace the crush sleeve too? And some exact torque specs for which I should torque it with old / new crush sleeve?

any input appreciated

There is no torque spec for a crush sleeve set-up!

There is no torque spec for a crush sleeve set-up!
there was when i did my 8.25 rear. i believe it was 18 in/lbs but im not exactly sure, that was a couple years ago. the tourqe on the crush sleeve determines bearing preload. there IS a tourqe spec for it, but im not sure what it is on a LP30 sorry.

there was when i did my 8.25 rear. i believe it was 18 in/lbs but im not exactly sure, that was a couple years ago. the tourqe on the crush sleeve determines bearing preload. there IS a tourqe spec for it, but im not sure what it is on a LP30 sorry.

You are correct about the pinion pre-load.The problem is he wont be able to check it without pulling the carrier.

You are correct about the pinion pre-load.The problem is he wont be able to check it without pulling the carrier.
it should still be done. just swapping the yoke and putting the nut back on without proper tourqe will just be asking for trouble later. thats the same reason i havent changed my rear pinion yoke again, its a big pain in the ass :D i'll just change the ujoints that wobble loose every 8 months or so.

IIRC the proper way to do this is remove the wheels and brakes and record the pinion preload before you loosen the pinion nut. When you put it back together, set your preload the same to a couple in/lbs higher.
There is a torque range but its a wide range to account for differences in crush sleeves.
Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: ok I just looked it up. Its for a D35 but should still be the same for a LPD30.
Remove brake drag and check/record pinion preload in in/lbs. When you reinstall the pinion nut, take out all free play in the yoke and tighten the pinion nut to the same preload torque as before + 5 in/lbs.
When you check preload, you should rotate the shaft at least 4 to 5 times to get a clear reading.

Last edited:
IIRC the proper way to do this is remove the wheels and brakes and record the pinion preload before you loosen the pinion nut. When you put it back together, set your preload the same to a couple in/lbs higher.
There is a torque range but its a wide range to account for differences in crush sleeves.
Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah,thats about the only other option.I have not had great luck with the "marking/countings turns" method!

Back