• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control vacuum canister

my77gmc

NAXJA Forum User
theres a T at the cruise control actuator on my 91 but after the T the lines cut. ive read on here bout a canister in the bumper, how big is this cainister? i dont see it...i think my jeeps was smashed at some point. still sturdy, just need to get all her parts back in...sheesh

vacuumresrb4.jpg

awesome! thanx for the pic! for a temporary fix could i poke a hole in an old spray paint can n seal the vacuum line to it with RTV? or is the canister special?

The canister is a reservoir (as the name above implies). Your heater/ac vents and cc are vacuum operated. During periods of low engine vacuum, like accelerating or climbing a long hill, your CC could flake out and vents blow only out the defrost due to insufficient vacuum. The reservoir helps to maintain enough vacuum to keep things going.

I don't know if a spray can would hold enough vacuum without the side caving in. If you decide to try it, you should make sure there's no paint left inside (or it's all completely dried) so there's no risk of sucking any into the system. You might need 2 to have enough capacity for both. Speaking of which, how are your vents doing?

:eek:Just find one in an old 70s or 80s GM car with A/C. The resevoirs are mounted in the rt inner fender so they are easy to find & remove. Forget the spray can idea, have you ever poked a hole in one?

Last edited:
A junker bottle is a better idea. Lot's of folks relocate the bottles from behind the bumper into the engine bay. Especially those with custom bumpers.

i was considering using a drill, its pretty easy if u use a center punch to make a dimple and use a good drill bit at a medium to low speed. i just did my brakes so i have a couple empty brake cleaner cans, the big'ns, and i have a couple hose clamps that just happen to be the right size to mount the cans. i'll just try it n let ya know what happens, i have the materials and the time so why not?

my vents were stuck on defrost till i found the clipped line n plugged it. vents work now but no cruise. thanx for the help, if the cans dont work ill hit up the junk yard.

actually, i noticed theres no light coming on when i put the switch on the turn signal to on. ill be looking for the fuse...the abs system was swaped for regular vacuum assist, would there be something in that mess of unused wiring thats keeping it off?

so are you missing the vac bottle?

you may just have a burnt out fuse some where also.

my cruse control almost killed me. and it wasn't even on. the module fell from behind the dash to in front of the brake peddle. that was scary.

Can I watch when you try to drill a hole in a spray can? At least make a video so we can see it on Youtube. Seriously, Don't try it.

I was just gonna post the same thing.:roflmao:

I'd advise against it, but if you insist, please film it. :wave1:

sheesh, i wish i got this many helpfull replies. you'd think i was proposing turning the paint can into a chunk of gold. drilling a hole in a paint can is a very simple process that takes about 30 seconds. like i said before dimple the can with a punch then drill a hole with a good bit. if its really necessary i guess i could make a video.

how did we ever get to the moon?

anyways, i ended up using an old mapp gas canister. drilled out the fill valve. inserted vaucuum tube n rtv'd the heckout of it. it holds vacuum, but somethings still amiss cause ive got no light on the dash. and it still doesnt work. the fuse is good. im really thinking for some reason that the missing abs stuff has something to do with this. but my wiring diagram doesnt show the abs system or the cruise control??? is there a website that has the wiring diagrams? or by chance is there anyone else out there who removed their abs and still has cruise control?

Are you missing the check-valve between the vacuum reservoir and the engine manifold? The purpose of the bottle is to hold vacuum when you hit the gas and the engine vacuum disappears.

anyways, i ended up using an old mapp gas canister. drilled out the fill valve. inserted vaucuum tube n rtv'd the heckout of it.

Sounds like something the meth heads around here would do.

what would the world be like if people were led to believe the ability to come up with creative ways around a problem was a good thing?

since then ive found that since my abs was replaced at some point with a standard vacuum assist setup all the wires to the old brake gadgets are hanging. i found the plug off of the distribution block, n put it back on but still nothing. i read theres no light on the dash in 91, and the vacuum switch on the pedal isnt there. not sure if it should be but theres no vacuum lines under there that i can see aside from the ones for the vents but they're all connectedmy manual doesnt have the cruise on the wiring diagram. i got the fsm off a website but its also missing the cruise control circuits. i got one for a 92 and it says theres just an electrical switch at the pedal, which i have and it does work. both brake lights operate. on the 92 wiring diagram it shows an inline fuse under the dash coming off the brake light switch on the brake pedal, but i dont see it under there. and theres no exposed wires at the turn signal lever. its hard to troubleshoot this being i cant be driving 35 mph and be checking the underhood stuff. any help would be much appreciated...THANX!

Back