• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent starting problem...

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 98 with te 4.0 and auto tranny.

I've had this issue for about a year, very seldom actually experienced it over the last 12 months though. It has MAYBE happened a total of 10 times.

Anyways, when i try to start it in PARK, i turn the key and get nothing.
The dash lights up, radio turns on, but there is no other response from the starter or engine or anything.
Normally what i do in this situation is put the tranny in neutral, and turn the key again, and it starts up normally.
Yesterday, out on the trail with a couple new friends, and we stop to walk around, get back in, not starting. Shift into neutral, still not starting. Do that a half dozen times back and forth, still nothing. Tried shifting the t-case around as well, no effect.
Left the jeep for about an hour, wheeled around in the other vehicles, still nothing when we got back to it.

Now, i had been through both water and mud on this trail ride, but prior to stopping and it not starting, we had not seen any mud or water for probably 20 minutes, and i had shut the engine off previously that day several times with no issues.

We checked the fuses in both the eng. compartment, as well as the passenger foot well, they were all fine. Tried using a screw driver to short the 2 leads between the terminals on the starter, nothing but a few little sparks.

Ended up towing it to the trail head with another XJ so i could get a tow back home.
The kicker is that i waited on a very lonely and boring gravel road for 2 hours by myself, and about 10 minutes before the tow truck was scheduled to show up, i was able to start it myself and drove home without incident... :rolleyes:

I'm looking for any and all possible causes of this problem, and a way to fix it, or replace a part if need be. Let me have it!

I do not know how to repair it, but do a search on your neutral safety switch. It is bad, and since you went in the muddy water and dirt, you just got it dirty. Good Luck.

Back