• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 transmission.

No replies at all? My buddy bought himself a cherokee with a 4.0 and the ax15 tranny it. He wants to put the 4.0 in his MJ with the ax5 tranny. Is this a possible setup or no?

Why not put the engine and trans in the MJ.

And no they will not bolt up. But you may be able to bolt the AX15 bellhousing to the AX5, but in the end the 4.0 would probably destroy the AX5 anyway.

Considering the number of people with the 2.5L who swap their AX5 for an AX15, I can't see why you'd put it behind a 4.0L. I'd do what CMNCHE suggested and swap the tranny as well as the 4.0 into the MJ.

Mambeu said:
Considering the number of people with the 2.5L who swap their AX5 for an AX15, I can't see why you'd put it behind a 4.0L. I'd do what CMNCHE suggested and swap the tranny as well as the 4.0 into the MJ.

i agree. seams like everyone has issues holding the ax5 together behind the 4 cylinder even in stock form. i think a 6 cylinder would shred an ax5 quickly.

The tranny came out of a 2wheel drive cherokee. So will the tcase bolt to the tranny?

Mambeu said:
No; you'll need either a complete 4wd transmission, or you can swap in the output from one.

Swapping the output shafts and changing the 2wd tailhousing for the 4wd adapter housing is a major teardown and certainly not trivial.

Back