• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Cherokee XJ ball joint question

stcif08

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing many front end part on my 97 XJ. I am in the process of replacing the ball joints. I have a decent ball joint press from a local parts store. I got the old joints out fairly easy. When I pressed the new bottom joints in there was a small gap between the flared out portion of the ball joint and the C shaped part of the Dana 30 axle. My question is when pressing the new lower joints in does this "flange" have to be flush with the axle?
Now I notice that when I installed the new steering knuckles the top of the knuckle doesn't fit tight against the upper ball joint. This gap filled in when I greased the upper ball joint and the rubber seal moved down a bit but I am afraid I basically didn't seat the lower joint properly which causes the knuckle to sit lower than it should.
I read the article on this site which was quite in depth on replacing ball joints but I can't tell looking at the pic of the lower ball joint to see just how it is seated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back