• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading an 86 comanche?

xj_dummy

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use any other year parts from a cherokee or comanche on a 86 comanche?. This Comanche that I have been looking at to purchase dosent have tilt wheel on the colum. Can I use a newer year comanche or cherokee tilt wheel on an 1986?

Up to what years are parts can be interchange?

The column is a GM column and should be swappable between the early non-HO (ie Renix era) Cherokees and Comanches. Most parts can be interchanged between the non-HO jeeps and some between the newer HO versions. The front half of the Comanche is identical to the Cherokees. Is this a 4cyl or the so-so V6? The pugeot manual trannies in the pre-89 Jeeps has a poor track record.

Tell me more about the truck...

The AMC four-cylinder engine used then is a decent engine, and actually generates more usable power than the GM V6. There aren't a whole lot of upgrades for it, other than what can be adapted from the AMC six it was derived from. Wedging an inline six into that frame is going to be a pain - the front clip was modified for the 1987MY to accommodate the longer engine block.

The GM V6 (2.8L) is best used when poured full of ready-mix and dropped as an anchor. Sorry, but there's no other way to put it. The best upgrade is to just yank the thing out, and put in the drivetrain from a 3.1/3.4L-equipped S-10 (or just get the engine from a 3.1/3.4L-equipped F-body.) If you go the S-10 drivetrain route, you should be able to adapt in the THM700R4/4L60 transmission and transfer case, which will also net you an overdrive gear in the bargain (avoid the pre-1986 THM700R4 - it's in the same league as the 2.8L V6. Later versions are fine, and the 4L60 is the later designator for the 700R4. The 4L60-E is electronically controlled, and will require a TCU be transplanted as well. If you grab the full electronics package for the drivetrain, you will likely be fine. You will probably have to adapt/fabricate the crossmember mount for the transmission, tho, and the transmission and transfer case shifters may be an issue as well. Check with Novak - they do all sorts of conversion goodies...)

It's also possible to just drop a Small Block Chevvy in there (Advance Adapters has a bolt-in/weld-in mound cradle,) but you'll have to do more work to make it run - standalone electronics if you go with FI (Howell comes to mind, as does Accel, MSD, and a few other outfits,) and you'll want to try to find an overdrive slushbox for that as well.

If you want to go manual, the T5 is a common box and tends to hold up rather well, in addition to being relatively compact. You can go with an SM420 or SM465, but expect to do some sheetmetal work to make the thing fit - and it's a heavy bastid to boot!

This should give you a few things to think about. If you want some more info, make sure to give with some more info - what you're starting with, what you're trying to do, ...; so we can answer your questions more effectively.

Back