• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my '98 Limited has reached its lift limit

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. I have a '98 XJ Limited with the 242 tcase, D35 w/ ABS, 3.55 gears. It is sitting at about 4.5" of lift and I believe the driveline is pretty much maxed out. I have a 4 degree shim in there, I was told the pinion angle is perfect. No t-case drop. My question is, can I lift this Jeep any higher and get away with just a t-case drop without screwing up the pinion angle more? I'm talking 1-2" more lift max. Like a shackle in the rear. Thanks.

Older transfer cases with the big tail-cone don't have as many problems with vibes so it's possible. Nobody can guarantee you anything.

edit--doh I saw '88 not '98, everyone below is correct

Last edited:
honestly going any higher u are going to want a SYE and extended driveshaft because you are going to need more slip in the rear so your driveshaft doesnt fall out - just my opinion and it will eliminate any silly vibes and you will have a peace of mind

The only kit I know of is the Tom Woods kit, which is too much money for me. I get vibes when I let off the gas on the freeway, or when I'm about at 30-35 mph but it isn't bad. I'm still searching for more options on how to fix the problem.

And I noticed the driveshaft sticks out about an inch or so more than it did when stock (the wear mark from the stock location was about an inch out).

That's nice, what driveshaft do I need? That works out good for me, a lot cheaper than I thought. RE used to have the same one but I think now they just said it works only for the 231.

the Go-Jeep method doesn't work as well on the post 96 tcases or so I have read, the yoke ends up being way out on the end of the tcase...just like the hack and tap

The 97+ t-cases don't have the long tail cone so when you do cut the output shaft and the yoke you end up with what is basically a super short SYE. The yoke is closer to the main part of the case.

Tom's comes with a driveshaft for that price. Tear your case down and send him the main shaft and 'dome' part from the case...and you don't have to worry about the core charge. He actually turns them down the right way...not with a hacksaw under the rig. :D

Where can you get a Tom Woods SYE for the 242 for $199? Cheapest place I have ever seen is $469.99 after the core charge.

Edit: I take that back 4x4 Group Buy has them for $849.99 with a $400 core charge and free shipping.

Last edited:
looks like theyre helping you deal with the SYE, but for the driveshaft dont get a tom woods, that is waht i have but oyu can juse use the front driveshaft from an automatic XJ itll fit and its cheap

Alright, I stress the price. I don't have the 900 or so dollars to put into a driveshaft and SYE for Tom Woods (I know I'll get a bunch of that back, but still) AND I can't afford to have the t-case out of the Jeep for long.

looks like theyre helping you deal with the SYE, but for the driveshaft dont get a tom woods, that is waht i have but oyu can juse use the front driveshaft from an automatic XJ itll fit and its cheap
How would that work? I've never really heard of that. What year driveshaft can be used?

The one from Iron Rock uses a stock XJ Front Drive Shaft in the rear. It is $199 for the yoke, drive shaft and hardware. These guys know XJ's they use their own products and wheel them hard.

Any CV Front Drive shaft from an XJ with an auto will work. It just has to be from an Auto.

This will work with a 242 and D35 rear axle?
I'm glad I asked these questions because $200 is definitely worth it to me. Then I could definitely lift it more and later on add on to the kit. Thanks for your help.

Back