• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 sensor backwards?

my77gmc

NAXJA Forum User
the manual says if i disconnect a vacuum line at idle and check the o2 sensor wire to batt gnd the voltage should drop to low range, but mine goes up to .9 or so volts. what gives? im getting a code 24 and code 21. 24 is the tps voltage high or low which i replaced and noticed deff improvenmts in running and shifting, 21 is the o2 sensor not reading rich or lean.. but im still getting both codes. i started going thru the rest of the checks n thats when i got the backwards operation. it does fluctuate between high and low when the vacuum line is connected like its supposed to. im off to check the wires to the ecu

another interresting note. my temp sensors dont operate in the range specified in the manual...what gives? testing with the engine warmed up i still get 3k ohms resistance, even the new one. the book says it should be under 1k ohms if warmed up.

thanx for ur help

It sounds to me like you are using a manual for a renix (87-90) and working on an HO. What year, model, engine do you have?

its a '91 cherokee limited 4L auto and it is not the renix version. looking at the pictures my throttle body doesnt look the same as the renix one. mine has 4 bolts around the base. not sure how else to verify that. i checked n both systems operate the same way according to the book as far as the o2 sensor dropping voltage in lean condition.

dead giveaway for the 4.0 would be the computer next to the airbox on the driverside.
or the coolant system, renix's dont have a filler cap at the radiator, HO's do...
maybe the PO did an engine swap? maybe its an EARLY 91... still using the renix stuff? weirder stuff has happened

also, which temp sensor are you messing with? theres 2, 1 for the gauge, 1 for the ECU, they might operate differantly.
of course, im no expert, so i cant tell you which is which... but you seem to know how to operate a manual.
time to turn on the 5-90 signal! i guess it really is.... TOUGHER IN ALASKA!

mine has a filler cap at the radiator, and the computer next to the airbox. so its an HO. what does HO stand for?> HIGH OUTPUT as usual?

as for the temp sensor im using the one on the drivers side of the thermostat housing. i also checked the air temp sensor on the intake manifold and it does the same thing, as the book says if its not in range replace it, so i replaced it but the new one doesnt operate in the ranges in the manual either, so i guess they're ok.

as for the codes i was getting, i disconnected the batt for a half hour and they went away, ive been on 2 test drives so far and still going strong.

Back