• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Are My Options for Steering?

Destroyer

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I have been doing a lot of searching on here for different steering setups and I have seen so many different options my head is spinning.

First off, my setup:

'99 XJ, RE 4.5" short arm lift + 1" spacer up front to compensate for bumper/winch, so still pretty close to 4.5" with all stock steering components. HD track bar and mount as well.

0917081850.jpg

This is my only vehicle/DD that has to get me 120 miles from school to home and back every few weekends in addition to normal daily stuff, so basically 98% street driven (as sad as that may be).

I do not have the tools or the time to mess with relocating the track bar mount as some setups require, and whatever setup I end up with must be 100% highway safe and controllable. Increased clearance would be a bonus, but I am really going for trail strength and street safety.

Right now my angles seem to be about as good as you are going to get and it handles great, but the spaghetti-like strength has got me scared to do much off-road.

steering.jpg

So what are my best options for a simple setup that I can trust on and off-road?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Destroyer

My suggestion is to go with the V8 ZJ set up, it is what I have right now, and I run basically the same size lift as you on 33's. It keeps the same geometry so you don't have to worry about that and of course no special tools. My whole set up cost me about 160$ off ebay for all new parts, and the tie rod is damn near twice the size as the XJ's

The ZJ is a bit beefier than the XJ linkage. However it only lasted slightly longer. I went to the JCR after I bent the ZJ. I've tweeked the JCR, but a bottle jack and inverting it has is straight again, and it was only slightly bowed after putting the weight of the Jeep on it. Depends on what type of wheeling you do. The stock will hold up until you get it wedged and put force on it, then it crumples like a wet noodle. Unless you do hardcore wheeling like LOTS of rocks, the ZJ is a good alternative.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Looking at the pics on JCR's site, it looks like the UTK setup would get the angles close, but the pictures were not quite from straight on either.

I guesstimated something like this?

steeringJCR.jpg

Now I saw this on Rusty's site: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-SC250-UV&Category_Code=ste

I don't plan on purchasing Rusty's anytime soon, but the concept seems good to me... OTK clearance, with the pivot more central to lessen angles.

Would it be possible to make something similar, fine tuning the mounting point for the drag link to suit?

steering2.jpg

Thanks!

Steering angles dont look so bad,Id start looking at DB's or LA's!

i have a 2000 re 4.5 lift short arms and jcr otk steering, my angles arent perfect but it drives great, no bump steer and i put about 450 miles a week on it and havent had an issue yet

KIF_3246.jpg

i have a 2000 re 4.5 lift short arms and jcr otk steering, my angles arent perfect but it drives great, no bump steer and i put about 450 miles a week on it and havent had an issue yet

KIF_3246.jpg
Yeah right! Youre not even close,just because youve got used to it doesnt make it right!
Almost like this thread,but his angles are almost perfect!Got to look at eveything at this point!

Last edited:
Yeah right! Youre not even close,just because youve got used to it doesnt make it right!
Almost like this thread,but his angles are almost perfect!Got to look at eveything at this point!

That is a pretty crummy picture to be looking at steering angles. He needs to back up, and get down a little bit further. In that picture it looks way off, but it could be pretty close.

I have a bit more lift, but a pretty similar set up, and my angle are off only a little. Your right, its not perfect, and I have gotten used to the ocasional bump steer. But it drives better then it did when I had stock steering on there, and its a wee bit stronger as well.

P1010780Drawn.jpg

To the OP, I would look at the JCR UTK kit, Curries bolt on setup, or the stock ZJ set up. I would tend to shy away from anything that involves Rustys.

since it is mostly street - otk is not really needed... i would go with currie or rock crawler because they bolth are easy to install - the rk is like 300 bucks now - not a bad deal - currie is great but is a few more

I ended up going with the Uturn steering kit, Ive only put a few hundred miles on it and I love it, Its crossover steering so your ackerman is off but for a Daily driver/ weekend wheeler it is awesome

i just ordered JCR 1 ton in UTK... theyre selling me some pre-reamed knuckles for $40 and reaming my pitman arm for me too
You might want to call them back,cause I dont think so!!

haha why do you say that? did they send them to you?
Are you serious?You would be hard pressed to buy 2 knuckles from the PNP for that price!

I picked up the Rugged ridge kit, $170 shipped on RJR with Naxja free shipping

theres other options. although there are better kits out there.

I picked up the Rugged ridge kit, $170 shipped on RJR with Naxja free shipping

theres other options. although there are WAY better kits out there.
Fixed it for you!

Id say go a 1 ton setup, I have a set thats made local to me that works great. I have the same track bar and about the same lift and pretty good angles on my steering.

The thing with 1 ton steering UTK is that even though it doesnt have the height of a OTK setup its strong enough to deflect most of the stuff you will be running with a dana 30 and 31-35 inch tires.

Granted I have bent mine a little bit, but the bend was at the TRE which is a weak point of nearly every steering system so I carry a spare just in case now.

-Alex

Thanks for all the help, keep the suggestions coming! I guess I need to know how important having matching angles really is? Will having the angles slightly off as in the pic Starboard posted going to be a major problem? I mean will I be swapping lanes at 60mph when I hit one of the many torn up sections of road between here and home, or will it just be a minor annoyance at the price of much stronger steering?

Also, any opinions on building the setup I showed in green? I don't know much about how all the ackerman stuff works or anything, so if it's dumb, tell me. :D

Back