• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My engine died today

Muddy-93

NAXJA Forum User
My wife was out driving today when the jeep just died on her. It started again, and the died once more. When I got to it, it started again, and I could drive it home. There I tried to stop and start a couple of times, and every once i a while it would not start. Checked the distributor, cleaned the contacts and rotor. After that the car ran perfectly, but after a little running time the idle got rough. I stepped on the gas, and got home. Then the idle was fine, and everything was working just fine. What is going on?
Almost forgot, after the first stop I checked the CEL, and it shows 11. Bad CPS? Can a cracked flexplate cause problems with the CPS? And how the #%&# can anyone reach the CPS? Help me, please. I need to trust my car again.
-94 ltd 4l HO

Another piece of information... It seems like the road condition has some influence. It dies on bumby roads. Could it just be a loose connector?

The ballast resistor is on the driver's side inner fender beside the brake booster.

My Jeep has been running fine now for a few days, but today it died again. And this time it didn't start anymore. So I started to look for the reason, and finally pulled the CPS. When I got it out, it had some metalshavings stuck to it, and there was some scratch-marks on it too. I cleaned the CPS and put it back in place. Then I tried to start, and to my surprise it started right away! How sensitive are these sensors? Can a few metalshavings really make my car stop?

They are surprisingly sensitive to getting gunked up, usually giving starting problems or backup light problems.

Back