• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Drop on my 99 w/2" BB okay?

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a 2" BB on my 1999 Xj and have had some vibrations show up. Right around 40mph and then at 70mph and up. I am a bit confused about the TC drop.
With shimming you need to do measurements and determine what degree shim you need, but it seems with the tc drop you just drop it an inch and your done. Will this work for me? Should I shim the rear leafs first? I searched this quite extensively but it seems like everyone doing this has 3.5" or more.

The t-cas edrop isn't too bad. The hard part is getting the studs out. The bolts tend to come out fairly easy. Not the studs. I get my 3.5" this weekend and intend to use the skyjacker drop this time around as i've heard it reuses the studs so no need to take them out. It is basically a square tube.

Also, why couldn't I buy some grade 8 bolts and some washers and make my own? Seems like the same thing isn't it?

Thats what I did as a temp solution.. Needed the Jeep that day and no one had the parts in stock, would have taken a extra day or so. It was a temp solution for me, for about 2 years :D.

Oh and I couldn't even get one of the stud's out, so I drilled / tapped a new hole...

Well I am stuck with 225 75 15's right now :( I plan on going to a 3.5" RE lift with 31's once these tires wear out. I am going to begin buying the parts soon. I just had to get my old sagging suspension up a bit for the time being.

I used a pair of vise grips after using PB Blaster. I used the hole in the frame rail just forward of the stud get some up above the stud in the frame rail. I just squirted at an angle so it would hit above the stud and drip down. I let it sit 10 minutes and locked on the vise grips. It still didn't want to go so I just started applying back and forth pressure and after a minute or so it gave a little. Be patient, very small movement. Kept up with the tight/loosen pressure and within a few minutes had the stud out. This worked on both studs.

its really not that easy. unless you get a stud extractor/puller. pick it up at any auto shop. 2 of the bolts holding the cross member on are studs going into the frame. They can be a pain if you dont have the right tool.

As for the vibrations... does your BB have shackles in the rear? If not, then think about putting on some extended shackles... they tend to bump your pinon angle up to correct the angle. Can be a fix sometimes.

I agree with Surf, the right tool for the job is always the right way to go. I have a big solid pair of vise grips and I live in nearly rust free Arizona. I know geography plays an important role in how easily the studs come out. I don't always tent to take the most elegant approach to things so I grabbed the PB Blaster and vise grips and took the cave man approach. Assess your situation and do what's best in your situation.

I have a 2.5'' lift on my 99, and I only have a 1'' TC drop. I get only minor vibs at times, and I only notice it every once in awhile. I didnt use shims, although at some point I might put them in.

I agree with Surf, the right tool for the job is always the right way to go. I have a big solid pair of vise grips and I live in nearly rust free Arizona. I know geography plays an important role in how easily the studs come out. I don't always tent to take the most elegant approach to things so I grabbed the PB Blaster and vise grips and took the cave man approach. Assess your situation and do what's best in your situation.

I used vice grips on my 89 without any PB Blaster, and they poped right out.
Then on my 99, I had to use PB Plaster and a stud remover. All depends on the Jeep and what its been through.

Okay, I had a TC drop put in at 4 Wheel Parts. They charged me $30. I also had an alignment done.

Vibes are gone until I hit 70mph. They seem to think my pinion angle is perfect, and that it must be something like a bearing. I am much happier, but really need these vibes eliminated. Should I have the bearing replaced back there?

Okay, I had a TC drop put in at 4 Wheel Parts. They charged me $30. I also had an alignment done.

Vibes are gone until I hit 70mph. They seem to think my pinion angle is perfect, and that it must be something like a bearing. I am much happier, but really need these vibes eliminated. Should I have the bearing replaced back there?

You didn't mention if you had or not, but I would have the balance on your tires checked first. Take it where you bought them and they should do it for free.

I haven't done that, but it really feels like the vibe is coming from the rear driveshaft/differential area. I guess it couldn't hurt to do that though. I'll probably do that this weekend and report back.

Thanks

Back