• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 installation???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
I know the 4 bangers have the 4.10 gears in the rear. If I snag a set at the junkyard, how hard are they to put in? I have a 98 XJ with the 8.25 rear. Are there any write-ups on here?

should have 4:10/11's front and rear, if you have a 4wd, you must do both, are you talking the complete assemblies? If you are swapping completes, here are a few things you may need:

gear lube,
rtv silicone (for the diff covers)
ball joints
unit bearings
rear brakes
front axle u-joints
upper control arm bushings (axle end)
new u-bolts
possibly brake lines
I'm probably missing something.

Oh yeah,make sure they are in fact the same ratio front and rear, my wrecker bought me a new transfer case and I paid the difference to upgrade to a lsd 8.8 ford rear. The transfer case made a pretty neat sound!, and it sure skidded good on the wet road

I know the 4 bangers have the 4.10 gears in the rear. If I snag a set at the junkyard, how hard are they to put in? I have a 98 XJ with the 8.25 rear. Are there any write-ups on here?

i dont think you'll find them in a j/y for a 8.25. 29 spl. correct me if im wrong but newer tj's came with the 4.10's and they have d35 and lp d30s. and if you find a 4 banger xj it will have d44 with 4.10's which you would be lucky, or a d35. all of which are not compatible with an 8.25, or you can go with bcmaxx said, and swap a whole axle, but then again 8.25 is better than all them expect for the 44.

I actually did this swap last year. The AX-15 / 4.10s combo is perfect for 32-33 inch tires. It took several phone calls and internet searching to locate the axles but I found a HP D30 and an 8.25 with 29 splines. IMO this swap is easier, and possibly cheaper, then messing with new gears.

The JY axles may require some maintenance, and I think bcmaxx has a sufficient list. Personally, I got lucky and only had to re-flare a new hard line to the passenger drum.

Edit: To help in your search, TJs have the same front axle...however they are all low pinion

Last edited:
Back