• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop kit install in 15 mins...? BULL. HELP!

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
So, im sure most of you know what im talking about when im complaining about doing a TC drop on my XJ... its not the 2 bolts... its those other two studs that go into the frame with the nuts on them that just wont come out.

3 guys, vicegrips, drills, cresent wrenchs, and alot of curse words... what the hell is the deal here? why wont those studs on the TC cross member come out?

Im looking for some input on this and how we can possibly get the stud out... we tried double nutting it and trying to cross thread it out but it only stripped the bolt... and its a 98 with minimal rust.

TORCH?!?!!!!!!

Double nut it.

Remove.

I've done it a dozen or more times, that is the best way. If necessary add some heat to the cause (frame not stud).

Double nut it.

Remove.

I've done it a dozen or more times, that is the best way. If necessary add some heat to the cause (frame not stud).

did the double nut, but we only had about 1/8 of an inch to thread the second nut on... so we dropped the cross member on one side so we had more threads to use for the extra nut and ended up stripping the bolt.

torch, or cut it off even with the frame, drill it out and tap with a 7/16 tap and use antiseize on new bolt good luck

i was there trying to get it out as well...the stud goes into a sleeve...it seemed as tho the 1/4 turn we WERE getting was the dleeve rotating not the stud....will heating the "frame" transfer enought heat to the sleeve to work?

I welded a nut and removed it (it was in there for 19 years and it came out)

PB Blaster plus this remover worked for my 99. Didnt have to use heat thankfully.

i just picked one of those up at pep boys, same brand and design and everything... my only problem is getting it to fit the little bit of stud coming out without the stud puller running into the part that sticks out on the cross member. maybe pull the cross member down so im not running into it with the stud puller? how did you do this? i have a torch and stud puller and its coming out TONIGHT.

i just picked one of those up at pep boys, same brand and design and everything... my only problem is getting it to fit the little bit of stud coming out without the stud puller running into the part that sticks out on the cross member. maybe pull the cross member down so im not running into it with the stud puller? how did you do this? i have a torch and stud puller and its coming out TONIGHT.

Is it hitting the cross member?

I took off both sides of nuts/bolts and lowered the crossmember down about 2'' and was able to get the stud extractor up there no problem. The stud did not stick all the way through the tool, but it got enough bit to pull right out.

That was after trying with vice grips, and double nutting it.

Is it hitting the cross member?

I took off both sides of nuts/bolts and lowered the crossmember down about 2'' and was able to get the stud extractor up there no problem. The stud did not stick all the way through the tool, but it got enough bit to pull right out.

That was after trying with vice grips, and double nutting it.

YOU ARE THE MAN. I was sitting outside a few minutes ago trying to figure it all out and how to fit the extractor in there. so i can drop it 2" without damaging anything huh? i guess i was just worried about dropping the cross member to far down and messing something up. got a torch and the stud extractor. damn studs are coming out TONIGHT!

YOU ARE THE MAN. I was sitting outside a few minutes ago trying to figure it all out and how to fit the extractor in there. so i can drop it 2" without damaging anything huh? i guess i was just worried about dropping the cross member to far down and messing something up. got a torch and the stud extractor. damn studs are coming out TONIGHT!

I let the crossmember down until it was as far down as it would go, and then I jacked it up a couple clicks. I would assume that is bad for the motor mounts over time, but it took me less then two minutes, so I figured it was ok.

Just pop your hood and make sure the fan doesnt hit the radiator or the valve cover hitting the hood. Dont be afraid to stop and rethink either. Take your time, and be smart about it.

I let the crossmember down until it was as far down as it would go, and then I jacked it up a couple clicks. I would assume that is bad for the motor mounts over time, but it took me less then two minutes, so I figured it was ok.

Just pop your hood and make sure the fan doesnt hit the radiator or the valve cover hitting the hood. Dont be afraid to stop and rethink either. Take your time, and be smart about it.

GOT IT DONE! studs came right out with the stud extractor! the jeep is all done now, and NO MORE VIBRATIONS! thanks a ton dude.

I just came in from putting in my tc drop....NOTHING came out!!! So, I tried the drill and tap routine.....It took forever to drill one freak'n bolt!!! Then the next bolt broke and none of the studs came out. I double nutted, I vise gripped, I pipe wrenched, and nothing but stripped studs. At this point I have spent acouple of hours on this project.
Then I went and got my trusty BFH and my center punch and wacked those MF'ers till I broke the welds (about 6 good wacks each). Then I fished in the bolts one at a time and dropped them down through the holes and slapped on some split washers and nuts. DONE!
After pulling out my BFH we had the job done in half an hour, took it for a test drive and NO Vibes!!!!:rof:

Back