• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Disconnect?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
After going from a 96 5spd to a 00 auto, aside from the lack of stick there is 1 other thing that absolutely drives me nuts, and its the ABS. I could stop more quickly and smoothly without the damn system, and while I can coax the ABS to stop "smoothly" doing so greatly increases my stopping distance. So, would there be any ill effects from just popping the ABS chip out? Note that I'd have to put it back in eventually and the system would have to return to working as if I never did anything. Thanks!

"Don't think you can do that. Without the pump, it's kind of like power brakes without the booster. You still have brakes,... sort of. To do away with it, you have to bypass/remove all the plumbing

Damn. The 00 I have is just like your avatar lol.
Thats weird, the '00 I have is just like my avatar too!

Actually, there's a difference. Mine has the 8.25 rear axle and no ABS :D

"Don't think you can do that. Without the pump, it's kind of like power brakes without the booster. You still have brakes,... sort of. To do away with it, you have to bypass/remove all the plumbing
I have disabled and or removed the ABS from multiple Jeeps including two in my family. The brakes work fine, whether you remove the pump or leave it in. I have had repeated personal experience with this on XJs & YJs . Disabling the ABS does not give you sort of brakes. do an advanced search, this topic has been covered many times by people who have actually done it and off road their Jeeps. If you don't drive on ice or know how to drive on ice it's pretty worthless. ABS has its place, but it ain't on a Jeep that goes off road! We left the pump and plumbing in my sons' rig & the brakes work great. The only difference pulling the pump & swapping out the lines & metering block made is it cleaned up the fenderwell & I got money for the pump.

Last edited:
Back