• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Experimental fuel cooler

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I really need some help finding a refrigerant compressor. Obviously, it's hard to find a place to buy the parts you'd need to basically build your own refrigeration system. Ideally, it would be small, just enough for a 2000 btu system max, and run on 12 volts... I don't wanna have to run an inverter.

Very last post.

I really need some help finding a refrigerant compressor. Obviously, it's hard to find a place to buy the parts you'd need to basically build your own refrigeration system. Ideally, it would be small, just enough for a 2000 btu system max, and run on 12 volts... I don't wanna have to run an inverter.

Very last post.

He wasn't using refrigerant or a compressor, just a water/coolant pump and antifreeze. Basically think of a tranny cooler or radiator, NOT a condenser coil...

Basically you could find a tranny cooler, run soft lines to a copper line running the length of the fuel rail with insulation wrap around them, connect an inline pump at a physically low location and you'll be set!

Well if I wanted to just use his design I'd be set, cause it's hella simple. Which is good, but I wanna make it better :D, hence the refrigerant. Utilizing a refrigerant system would basically take Duner's idea, and drastically improve its capacity. A lot more work, but CHILLED fuel and you wouldn't be reliant upon your a/c being on all the time in order for it to be as affective. So if I could find a SMALL refrigerant system for under $100, I could have this thing done in a week.

This is as close as I can find so far. How can I get the replacement parts for this thing so I don't have to buy the whole unit just to destroy it? I've already checked their website to no avail :(

On second thought, I'm thinkin thermo-electric. And that's uncharted waters for me so anyone know good sources for thermo-electric plates/heat exchangers?

you could re route the fuel lines through an ice box. Kinda like the box used on turbo setups. Just make up a 2in diameter coil of hardline that is the length of whatever box you decide to go with drill a hole in each end, feed the end of the line through and soldier/weld the holes tight to stop any leakage. You now have a coil in a box, at this point you could put saltwater and lots of ice or dry ice in there, or liquid nitrogen. It would need to be refilled sure, but if you insulated it just right you could probably get several hours to half a day out of it. Probably efficient enough for your purposes.

Heck if you have an older style cherokee, move the washer tank to the fender, and mount the box right there.

you could re route the fuel lines through an ice box. Kinda like the box used on turbo setups. Just make up a 2in diameter coil of hardline that is the length of whatever box you decide to go with drill a hole in each end, feed the end of the line through and soldier/weld the holes tight to stop any leakage. You now have a coil in a box, at this point you could put saltwater and lots of ice or dry ice in there, or liquid nitrogen. It would need to be refilled sure, but if you insulated it just right you could probably get several hours to half a day out of it. Probably efficient enough for your purposes.

Heck if you have an older style cherokee, move the washer tank to the fender, and mount the box right there.

I really want something permanent and clean, otherwise that'd work perfectly.

Take a look at this:

http://www.compactappliance.com/P25...rtable-Mini-Fridge-Cooler/P25,default,pd.html

I think it would have all the components you need.

I think that would be PERFECT if it's not thermo-electric but I don't see where it specifies. I'm lookin at some thermoelectric stuff right now but it may not be monetarily feasible, plus they really pull some amps!

I really want something permanent and clean, otherwise that'd work perfectly.

Good enough is good enough, especially if you are experimenting around at this point. If it works, go all in, if not you would be out a lot less money.

I was thinking of doing something along those lines to my stroker to see if I can get any noticeable gains out of it. When i go to my new ecm I will be able to add some sort of fuel temp sensor and go from there for sure.

This model, at the same site mentions thermo-electric and it's $99

http://www.compactappliance.com/233...utdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers-Portable_Coolers

Generally if it's a cooler/heater, then it's thermo-electric. Thermo-electric doesn't have the capacity that I need without spending boocoos on a really high powered unit that'll suck up a lot of battery juice. That leads me to believe that the previous "mini-frig" unit is indeed a refrigerated system. That's good news :D. I'll check on it tomorrow.

I have an 84 jag with factory fuel cooler and you could adapt the fuel cooler pretty easy.

I seriously doubt it's a refrigerated or thermo-electric fuel cooler. Is it an air to liquid cooler like a tranny cooler? That's still pretty cool that it came stock on an '84 jag :cool:

None if you have to use the a/c or alternator to do it.Not alot of realistic testing results(maybe call Myth-Busters)!Kinda like the H2O threads,no realistic "documented" results.

Well anytime you are adding power to your motor without adding anymore fuel then you're going to get better gas mileage. The only dyno'd results from a similar system was Duner's fuel cooler and it was on a 4.7 V-8. However, our 4.0's have the same problem and even a little worse due to the fuel rail being right above the manifolds. There's even a TSM addressing it. But Duner dyno'd 20hp and 30ft/lbs on his 4.7. That's a NET increase with his a/c ON. That's a LOT of power. I'm trying to produce even more cooling and NOT have to run my all the time. Of course his results are on a sohc aluminum head V-8 versus our ohv 4oh's, however, I expect similar results on a smaller scale of course but I think it'll be a very noticeable difference. My gas mileage is about 17 right now and I'll update you with results. I suspect a possible mpg outta the deal... but I'm not holdin my breath. We'll see what happens.

Interesting definetly post pics of the finished product!!

..., gas mileage is about 17 right now and I'll update you with results. I suspect a possible mpg outta the deal... but I'm not holdin my breath.
My guess is you might see a power increase, but at the expense of fuel economy. The extra HP is coming from somewhere, and in this case, it will be from adding more fuel to the engine.(denser fuel charge out of the injectors)Any power gains would be in direct proportion to how lean any single cylinder is running, and how the A/F ratio is changed in each cylinder.
I suspect the computer will notice the "extra" fuel and lean out the overall mix. If there were one or two cylinders producing low power because they were running lean, they will pick up, and you might notice a little more power, but again, at the expense of overall loss in fuel economy.

Good luck with it though. If it works, I think the biggest effect you will notice will be a smoother running engine. There is a company that makes "matched sets" of injectors for fuel injected aircraft engines based on airframe installation(not engine type) They even out the A/F ratio cylinder to cylinder by using different sized injectors based on the air flow/temp. to each cylinder. Net result is smoother operation, uniform cylinder head temp, and longer engine life. You're doing a similar thing by evening out the fuel delivered to each cylinder, so this is probably the effect you will see.

Back